8-year-old Detroit boy dies from suspected alcohol poisoning
Family says he may have drank alcoholic drink at home
DETROIT – A Detroit mother is devastated after her 8-year-old son went into cardiac arrest and died from suspected alcohol poisoning, police said.
The family has been gathering all day Thursday at the home on Detroit's east side to grieve the tragedy.
Medics said they responded around 1:30 a.m. Thursday to a report of a sick child at the grandmother's home on Conley Street. The boy was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The boy may have gotten a hold of someone's cup containing alcohol at a home in the 19900 block of Conley Street, according to his grandmother, who lives at the home.
Family members said Thursday was supposed to be a fun day. Instead, the boy's mother has to plan for a funeral.
"If something like that were to happen to my kids, I wouldn't know what to do," said neighbor Jamal Sane said.
The playful 8-year-old boy was the center of his mother's world, judging by her Facebook page.
The family said it is trying to figure out if this was just a tragic accident.
Neighbors are feeling for the family.
"This is a quiet neighborhood, so everybody keeps to themselves ... this has to touch your heart somehow," Sane said.
Detroit police are investigating the death. An autopsy will be needed to confirm if this was in fact a death caused by alcohol poisoning.
Why do young children have such a severe reaction to alcohol? Local 4's Dr. Frank McGeorge explained why children react so differently to alcohol than adults. You can hear his explanation in the video posted above.
Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.