21ºF

Meth lab fire in Shelby Township severely burns man, closes Planet Fitness for hours

Police say man has significant burns

SHELBY TOWNSHIP, Mich. – An apparent meth lab fire led to a man being severely burned and a Planet Fitness being evacuated Friday afternoon in Shelby Township.

Officials believe a meth lab at a home in the 8000 block of Wiloray Avenue caused the fire that severely burned the man, who police say is in his 30s.

"This individual we believe was in the process of cooking methamphetamines. The explosion is a result of that. He lit himself on fire," Deputy Chief Mark Coil said.

The home is owned by the next-door neighbors. Their stepson is renting the home but was at work when the fire started. Their granddaughter was home with a friend who police say is known to the department and was responsible for the fire.

The homeowner ran over to the home with a fire extinguisher, but the smoke was so acidic that he had to leave.

Police said the man who caused the fire ran out of the home around 3:41 p.m. and drove to the Planet Fitness at 23 Mile Road and Van Dyke. He attempted to take a shower at the gym, but was taken into custody.

Planet Fitness was closed for nearly six hours while hazmat crews went through the gym. According to authorities, aside from burned skin and clothing in the bathroom, the gym was given the all clear to reopen.

Investigators could be seen removing bleach from the trunk of the man’s car in the Planet Fitness parking lot.

Sign up for ClickOnDetroit breaking news alerts and email newsletters


About the Authors: