Tropical storm Irma blew into Georgia on Monday with winds strong enough to knock down trees. One woman in Spalding County was behind the wheel when a tree fell directly in front of her, resulting in a close-call crash that was captured on dashcam video.
Footage shows rain beating down and trees swaying in the wind as a white Lexus travels along a wooded road. Suddenly, a tall pine tree falls over. The driver slams on the brakes, but there is no time for the vehicle to fully stop before the tree falls across the road. The Lexus launches into the air as it hits the fallen tree trunk.
Watch the video above.
According to WXIA, the driver who witnessed the incident immediately jumped out of his vehicle to help the driver of the Lexus. She was stunned, but otherwise okay.
The woman instantly slammed on the brakes when she saw the tree falling. The witness said that if her timing was a second off, the incident could've been deadly.
More NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL headlines:
- Irma Aftermath: Caribbean residents describe dire situation as food, water run out.
- Florida: 43% of state's gas stations are dry after Hurricane Irma.
- Apple: Ten things you need to know about iPhone X.
- Equifax: CEO promises changes, accepts criticism after breach.
- US Dept. of Transportation: Self-driving car guidelines released.