DUNDEE, Mich. – The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality issued a statement Monday to Local 4 regarding an incident at Splash Universe in Dundee that endangered children at a birthday party over the weekend.
The statement was issued by Scott Dean of the MDEQ. Dean said the state environmental group is aware of the incident and ready to provide technical assistance to the Monroe County Public Health Department if it is requested.
"We are told that the health department did not receive a complaint, but they intend to visit the facility," said Dean.
Jessica Mason of Farmington Hills was having her children’s birthday party at Splash Universe Saturday night when she says people suddenly could not breathe. Both kids and adults started vomiting and panic broke out. Ambulances showed up around 8 p.m. to treat people.
Mason had nine kids with her for the birthday party when she says people started vomiting all over the water park. People's eyes started to burn and some people could not breathe.
Mason says a staffer told her there was an equipment malfunction resulting in a release of chloramine, which has a heavy ammonia component to it.
Multiple fire and EMS from the area were at the scene treating adults and kids. Mason had three kids from the party checked out by EMS.
Families say they have previously complained about the chemicals in the air at Splash Universe.