"Sunset on top of a few gorgeous rolling dunes in the Sleeping Bear Dunes." Photo: Julian Bunker
Happy Monday! We hope the weekend was amazing. Most of the week looks bone dry. Monday looks great with mostly sunshine and comfortable warmth and highs again near 80 degrees.
Check the latest forecast at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
- EB I-75 BL (Square Lake Rd) from M-1 (Woodward Ave) to Opdyke Rd and WB I-75 BL (Square Lake Rd) from Opdyke Rd to M-1 (Woodward Ave) have two lanes closed for construction all week.
- EB M-59 from Opdyke to I-75 two lanes closed for construction all week.
- WB M-59 from Squirrel Road to M-59 two lanes closed for construction all week.
- SB M-39 (Southfield Freeway) at Outer Drive lane closed for maintenance - just today.
🚧 Check the live Traffic Map here.
During a media briefing Sunday morning UAW officials announced a national strike against General Motors would begin at 11:59 p.m. Sunday night. This is the nation's first auto strike in more than a decade. Workers are demanding a fair contract. The media briefing was held in Detroit's Marriott Renaissance Hotel. It took place after a private meeting between the UAW and GM. Talks are expected to resume between the UAW and General Motors at 10 a.m.
The Detroit Tigers will bring back 'Bark in the Park' tonight for the third time this year. This special event will allow Tigers fans and their dogs to enjoy a game at Comerica Park. A portion of the proceeds from this event will go to the Michigan Humane Society.
Join The Henry Ford as Historical Resources staff dig through our vast archival and library collections to tell the stories about items that aren't usually on exhibit. Photos, scrapbooks, letters, books, and more await. We'll look at a different topic each time so check out our calendar of events for this month's theme.
National Stepfamily Day
National Stepfamily Day is celebrated annually on September 16th and was founded by Christy Borgeld in 1997. One in three Americans live in a stepfamily, and more than 50% of Americans will live in a stepfamily at some point in their lives.
Today in history: William Durant creates General Motors 🚗
On September 16, 1908, Buick Motor Company head William Crapo Durant spends $2,000 to incorporate General Motors in New Jersey. Durant, a high-school dropout, had made his fortune building horse-drawn carriages, and in fact he hated cars–he thought they were noisy, smelly, and dangerous.
🗓️ Here's what's on the calendar:
- Sept. 17 -- Detroit Red Wings begin preseason 🏒
- Sept. 19 -- Eastern Market After Dark 🎉
- Sept. 19 -- International Talk Like a Pirate Day
- Sept. 20 -- Funky Ferndale Art Fair 🎭
- Sept. 20 -- Pepperoni Pizza Day
- Sept. 28 -- Avril Lavigne at Fox Theatre 🎤
- Oct. 1 -- Phil Collins at LCA 🎤
- Oct. 5 -- The Black Keys at LCA 🎤
Check the Live Guide calendar for more local events, and post your own.
National Play-Doh Day!
National Play-Doh Day celebrates a great childhood play toy. Invented in the mid 1950s, it has entertained millions of children, and allowed them to express their creativity, both at home and in the classroom.
Hear ye, hear ye! We are now offering $5 off tickets to the Renaissance Festival! This year's festival runs weekends and Labor Day, Aug. 17 to Sept. 29. The fun all happens at 12600 Dixie Hwy, Holly, MI 48442.
Adventure awaits! Purchase your discounted tickets here!
Submit your photo:
- Hit us up on Instagram -- @local4news
Send us a News Tip here.