ORION TOWNSHIP, Mich. – An Oakland County man who was found sobbing and bleeding on a sidewalk after he strangled and stabbed his mother to death and injured his uncle has been charged, according to authorities.
Garrett Lee Roberts, 29, of Pontiac, was arraigned Wednesday at 52-3 District Court on charges of first-degree premeditated murder and assault with intent to murder, officials said.
The attack happened at 12:26 a.m. Sunday at a home in the 4500 block of Rohr Road in Orion Township, officials.
A 60-year-old Orion Township man called police and said he had been stabbed by Roberts, his nephew.
Deputies learned Roberts had attacked his mother -- Delora Margaret Roberts, 59 -- inside the home. His uncle said he woke up and heard Delora Roberts call for help, so he went into the living room.
He saw Garrett Roberts strangling his mother with both hands, authorities said. When Garrett Roberts was confronted by his uncle, he went into the kitchen and grabbed a knife, police said.
Garrett Roberts stabbed his uncle multiple times in the left shoulder, according to authorities. His uncle took the knife and ran to the neighbor's house to call 911, police said.
The 60-year-old man said he could still hear his sister screaming while he was at the neighbor's house.
Police said the uncle saw Garrett Roberts walking south on Rohr Road about five minutes later. He was covered in blood and crying, according to authorities.
Officers said they found Garrett Roberts walking down the sidewalk. He was incoherent and sobbing when they took him into custody, police said.
Delora Roberts was found face-down in the living room, officials said. She was unconscious and bleeding profusely, according to police.
Paramedics took Delora Roberts to McLaren Oakland Hospital, where she died due to her injuries, officials said.
Garrett Roberts was treated for a suspected self-inflicted stab wound to the neck and taken to the Oakland County Jail pending criminal charges, police said.
He is being held without bond. A probable cause conference is scheduled for Nov. 4, and a preliminary examination is scheduled for No. 12.
Here is a look at his criminal history:
- April 8, 2013: Possession with intent of a controlled substance -- marijuana/drug paraphernalia in Nashville, Tennessee
- June 20, 2013: Received felony probation
- July 20, 2014: Felony malicious destruction of property in Oakland County
- Aug. 11, 2014: Pleaded no contest to misdemeanor attempting to resist and obstruct
- July 20, 2014: Felony invasion of privacy in Oakland County
- Aug. 11, 2014: Pleaded no contest to misdemeanor indecent exposure
- July 20, 2014: Felony sex offense out of Oakland County
- Aug. 11, 2014: Pleaded no contest to breaking and entering -- illegal entry without permission
- July 20, 2014: Felony obstructing police out of Oakland County
- Aug. 11, 2014: Pleaded no contest to misdemeanor malicious destruction of property
His uncle was treated at a nearby hospital and released, medical officials said.
Detectives continue to investigate the case.