5 children, 1 firefighter taken to hospital after house fire in northwest Detroit

Children suffer from smoke inhalation

Breaking news (WDIV)

DETROIT – Five children and one firefighter were transported to a hospital Thursday morning after a house fire in northwest Detroit.

The fire started at a house in the 22400 block of Pembroke Avenue, firefighters said. 

Officials said three girls -- 4 months, 2 years and 4 years old -- a 3-year-old boy and another 4-year-old child were transported due to smoke inhalation.

A firefighter was also taken to a nearby hospital, according to authorities.

The firefighter and children are expected to be OK.

"There were three children," neighbor Asia Tucker said. "It looked like a toddler, and there were two babies."

The firefighter was injured while kicking in the door to the house, officials said.

Arson investigators said a mattress caught fire in one of the bedrooms. The mattress was found near a space heater with a melted plastic clothes-hanger and multiple lighters.

Stay with ClickOnDetroit for more information as it becomes available.


About the Authors:

Local 4 Defender Shawn Ley is an Emmy award-winning journalist who has been with Local 4 News for more than a decade.

Dave Bartkowiak Jr. is the digital managing editor for ClickOnDetroit.