Kim DeGiulio: Hello Winter! Hard to believe that the actual start of winter is over a month away. Yikes! I’m hoping these frigid cold temps aren’t here to stay. If you watch the morning show every morning, you know how much I love the warm weather and hate the cold. The only thing I like about the cold is that it makes me appreciate the warm even more!
I’m hoping that we aren’t going to be stuck in this deep freeze for long. Maybe a warm front will come through and it will be PERFECT for Thanksgiving because last years Thanksgiving parade was way too cold!
Meanwhile, I’m trying to psych myself up for the Michigan vs. Michigan State game this weekend. I’m obviously excited for the game itself but not the cold weather. Brandon’s forecast says it’s going to be a high of mid 30s on Saturday. I’m going to need lots of hand warmers and lots of hot chocolate to get through this one! I’m predicting a Michigan win but you never know what can happen when these two teams match up. Whatever happens, I think all fans deserve a medal if we can make it through this whole game in the cold! Go Blue!
Here's what's coming up on Thursday, November 14, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Light Snow Coming
Brandon Roux: A clipper system will blow through Metro Detroit overnight into Thursday morning bringing light snow scattered around SE Lower Michigan and Southern Ontario. Model data suggests less than an inch of new snow due to the scattered nature of this snow maker but it could slow down the morning drive tomorrow. Skies stay partly sunny and highs will be a little warmer into the low or mid 30s Thursday and lighter winds SW 5-12 mph.
- Get the full forecast here
Our Kim DeGiulio will be watching the roads for us all morning. She'll have all the construction updates and traffic trouble spots you can expect for Thursday, Friday and the weekend.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- Historic Impeachment Hearings
The first public testimony is happening Wednesday in Washington. Three witnesses are scheduled for this week and eight more are set to testify in public next week. We'll have a complete recap in the morning.
5:55 a.m. -- Back to Basics: Hair Care
The fun, how-to segment has returned! We've helped you camp, make coffee and more. Now we're focusing on haircare. If you're looking for perfect curls - Kim DeGiulio went to the experts for advice.
6:40 a.m. -- Help Me Hank: Online Shopping Scams
Planning to do your holiday shopping online this year? Consumer Investigator Hank Winchester has the scams to watch out for this year.
- 17-year-old boy has double lung transplant in Detroit due to irreparable damage from vaping, doctors say
- Stop Trafficking: Who is affected, who is working to protect people?
- Oakland County deputies visit military training facility to practice emergency situations
- New, inclusive Livonia coffee shop to provide jobs to young adults with disabilities
Today’s Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Wednesday Question: What was Fred Rogers’ favorite number?
- Answer: 143 (for I love you)
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: November 14th
- National Family PJ Day
- National Pickle Day
- National Spicy Guacamole Day
History Highlights: November 14th
- In 1910, Eugene B. Ely became the first aviator to take off from a ship as his Curtiss pusher rolled off a sloping platform on the deck of the scout cruiser USS Birmingham off Hampton Roads, Virginia.
- In 1925, the first group exhibition of surrealistic paintings opened at the Galerie Pierre in Paris.
- In 1969, Apollo 12 blasted off for the moon.
- In 1972, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed above the 1,000 level for the first time, ending the day at 1,003.16.
- In 2008: Dr. Adrian Kantrowitz, the cardiac surgeon who performed the first U.S. heart transplant in 1967, died in Ann Arbor, Mich. at age 90.
- In 2013: Pittsburgh Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen and Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera won baseball’s Most Valuable Player awards.
Celebrity Birthdays: November 14th
Celebrating a birthday Thursday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Writer P.J. O’Rourke is 72.
- Pianist Yanni is 65.
- Actor D.B. Sweeney is 58.
- Rapper Reverend Run of Run-DMC is 55.
- Actor Patrick Warburton (“The Tick,” ”Seinfeld”) is 55.
- Actor Josh Duhamel (film’s “Transformers,” TV’s “Las Vegas”) is 47.
- Drummer Travis Barker of Blink-182 is 44.
- Comedian Vanessa Bayer (“Saturday Night Live”) is 38.