Former Michigan lottery winner Amanda Clayton found dead

Police believe death was from overdose

Headline Goes Here

ECORSE, Mich. - Former Michigan lottery winner Amanda Clayton was found dead early Saturday morning at a friend's house in Ecorse.

Police believe she died from an overdose. Reports are saying it was from prescription medication.

Clayton, from Lincoln Park, first made headlines when she won a $1 million jackpot on the game show "Make Me Rich" last September.

She was charged with welfare fraud and sentenced to probation in July.

Local 4 Defenders revealed fraud in March

The case came to light when Local 4's Karen Drew confronted Clayton.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought maybe it was okay because I'm not working," Clayton told Local 4.  

Full investigation: Lottery winner still using Bridge card

Gov. Rick Snyder signed a law in April that requires lottery officials to tell the Department of Human Services about new winners.


Read: Michigan lottery winner waives key hearing in criminal case

Read: Michigan lottery winner charged with welfare fraud

Read: Michigan lottery winner loses state food assistance

Copyright 2012 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.