82ºF

Nonfunctional smoke detectors could be factor in fatal Monroe fire

Authorities investigating a deadly fire that happened on Dec. 24, 2019 in Monroe.
Authorities investigating a deadly fire that happened on Dec. 24, 2019 in Monroe. (WDIV)

MONROE, Mich. – Fire crews responded Tuesday to a fatal house fire on Tremont Street in Monroe.

Monroe Fire Department officials arrived just before 9 a.m. and extinguished the fire. The body of a woman was found inside the living room of the home. Authorities said a search of the residence confirmed no one else was inside.

The fire was contained to one unit of a duplex, but the other unit was damaged by smoke. The American Red Cross is helping the family from the second unit that was displaced by the fire.

According to authorities, the property did not have working smoke detectors at the time.

RELATED: Michigan fire safety: How to protect your family from house fires

The investigation is ongoing.


About the Author: