DETROIT – When a pet dies, it can be hard on a child, but activities can help children through the grieving process.
American Humane suggests projects that allow children to be creative while remembering the animal.
American Humane's tips for grieving the loss of a pet:
- Make a collage or scrapbook about the pet.
- Write a story, poem, book or song about the pet.
- Write a letter to the pet.
- Donate money or supplies to an animal shelter.
- Volunteer at a shelter in memory of the pet.
- Plant a garden, tree or flowers in memory of the pet.
- Hold a memorial service for the pet, which may include sharing memories and stories of the pet.
- Create a picture frame for a favorite pet photo.
- Decorate a memory box with the pet’s name on it, to hold special items, such as its collar or favorite toy.