DETROIT – Another Kmart store bites the dust.
Adding to the long list of Sears-Kmart closures in the Metro Detroit area, the Kmart store in St. Clair Shores, at 22801 Harper Ave will close - which amounts to 127 employees losing jobs.
It'll be closing in January of 2018. The store will be demolished for a larger Kroger store.
The new store closures are on top of 180 Sears and Kmart locations that have already been shuttered this year. The company had previously announced that another 150 stores will close by the third quarter.
Michigan KMart store closures this year include:
- 29600 Ford Road, Garden City, MI
- 3555 O’Neill Drive, Jackson, MI
- 1396 South Main Street, Adrian, MI
- 5400 S Cedar Street, Lansing, MI
- 1501 E Apple Ave, Muskegon, MI
- 40855 Ann Arbor Road, Plymouth, MI
- 17580 Frazho Road, Roseville, MI
- 3541 Highland Road, Waterford, MI
- 165 Wayne Road, Westland, MI
- 6455 US 31 N, Acme Township, MI
- 801 N Lincoln Road, Escanaba, MI
- 1290 N Monroe Street, Monroe, MI
- Utica/Shelby Township, 7601 23 Mile Road
- Bay City, 4001 N Euclid Avenue
- Sandusky, 545 West Sanilac
Sears now has 1,250 stores overall in the United States -- 650 of them are Sears branded and 610 are Kmart locations. A year ago, Sears at 709 Sears stores and 883 Kmart stores.
Sears Canada closing all of its stores
Sears Canada wants to close all of its remaining stores.
The company said on Tuesday that it will apply to the Ontario Superior Court of Justice for permission to liquidate all of its remaining stores and assets. The court will likely hear the motion on Friday.
If the court gives Sears the go ahead, the retailer will start liquidation sales at its locations on or after October 19. It expects the sales to last between 10 and 14 weeks. About 12,000 jobs will be eliminated.