DETROIT – Michigan reported 16,143 new cases of COVID-19 and 160 virus-related deaths Monday -- an average of 5,381 cases over the past three days.
Monday’s update brings the total number of confirmed COVID cases in Michigan to 1,396,467, including 25,240 deaths. These numbers are up from 1,380,324 cases and 25,080 deaths, as of Friday.
The deaths announced Monday include 36 identified during a Vital Records review.
Testing has increased to around 50,000 diagnostic tests reported per day on average, with the 7-day positive rate at 17.89% as of Friday -- a slight drop from last week. Hospitalizations have been steadily increasing for several weeks and are at the highest point of the pandemic.
The state’s 7-day moving average for daily cases was 6,251 on Friday. The 7-day death average was 107 on Friday. The state’s fatality rate is 1.8%. The state also reports “active cases,” which were listed at 230,900 on Friday.
Michigan has reported more than 10.7 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine administered as of Friday, with 67.5% of 16+ residents having received at least one dose, while 62.1% of 16+ residents are considered fully vaccinated.
Across Michigan’s entire population, 62.1% have received at last one COVID vaccine dose.
According to Johns Hopkins University, more than 49 million cases have been reported in the U.S., with more than 796,700 deaths reported from the virus. Globally, more than 8 billion vaccine doses have been administered, including more than 478 million doses in the U.S. alone.
Worldwide, more than 269 million people have been confirmed infected and more than 5.2 million have died, according to Johns Hopkins University. The true numbers are certainly much higher, because of limited testing, different ways nations count the dead and deliberate under-reporting by some governments.
New daily Michigan COVID-19 totals since Nov. 8:
- Nov. 8 -- 8,911 new cases (case count for three days)
- Nov. 10 -- 6,283 new cases (case count for two days)
- Nov. 12 -- 15,878 new cases (processing delay inflated the two-day case count)
- Nov. 15 -- 21,034 new cases (case count for three days)
- Nov. 17 -- 14,561 new cases (case count for two days)
- Nov. 19 -- 17,980 new cases (case count for two days)
- Nov. 22 -- 17,008 new cases (case count for three days)
- Nov. 24 -- 17,003 new cases (case count for two days)
- Nov. 29 -- 25,329 new cases (case count for five days)
- Dec. 1 -- 16,530 new cases (case count for two days)
- Dec. 3 -- 18,443 new cases (case count for two days)
- Dec. 6 -- 16,590 new cases (case count for three days)
- Dec. 8 -- 15,385 new cases (case count for two days)
- Dec. 10 -- 11,783 new cases (case count for two days)
- Dec. 13 -- 16,143 new cases (case count for three days)
Latest COVID-19 data in Michigan:
- Full coverage: Coronavirus in Michigan
Sign up for the Michigan Coronavirus Newsletter for updates delivered right to your inbox:
COVID-19 Discussion Forum:
Join our dedicated space to discuss the pandemic. You’re invited to share questions, experiences, insights and opinions.