DEARBORN, Mich. - A 24-year-old Leonard man and a 40-year-old Jackson man were taken into custody after entering the Dearborn police station Sunday dressed in tactical vests and armed with multiple firearms.
The suspects allegedly filmed the incident, and the full video is available below. [STRONG LANGUAGE WARNING]
In the early afternoon, police were called to the shopping district at Ford Road and the Southfield Freeway on a report of two suspicious men in a vehicle wearing tactical vests and masks. The men were gone when police arrived.
A Dearborn police sergeant on patrol saw the men in a vehicle at a park about 3 miles away. The sergeant conducted a traffic stop.
Both men were wearing heavy tactical vests, and the passenger, who refused to speak to the sergeant, was wearing a balaclava mask that covered his face, according to police.
The sergeant released the men after not seeing any guns in the vehicle.
Police said the men then drove to the Dearborn police station.
In the video, one of the men says they were going to the police station to file a complaint because they were "illegally pulled over about an hour ago." He says they feared for their lives during the traffic stop so they "figured they ought to protect themselves."
One of them entered the building wearing a tactical vest and mask, armed with an AP-14. The second man carried a camera and a tripod.
Officers confronted the men, who initially refused to comply with commands. Both men were taken into custody without incident.
Officers seized the loaded AP-14 firearm, rifle magazine containing 47 rounds, loaded Glock 19 handgun with four additional magazines containing 66 rounds, body armor and ballistic vests, mask, gun belt and several pieces of camera equipment. Also recovered was an AR-15 rifle along with an AK-47-style rifle.
“I find this behavior totally unacceptable and irresponsible,” said Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad. “This is not a 2nd Amendment issue for me. We had members of the public in our lobby that fled in fear for their safety as these men entered our building. I want to express my appreciation or the many calls of support we’ve received from the community including a call from the president of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. who made it clear that he and his organization stand with law enforcement and unequivocally condemn the actions that took place in our lobby this past Sunday.”
Both men posted $1,500 bonds and were released pending future court appearances.
The suspects allegedly filmed the incident and streamed it to Facebook. The full video is available below. [STRONG LANGUAGE WARNING]
The video below allegedly shows the men being pulled over by police earlier in the day. [STRONG LANGUAGE WARNING]
Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.