Sheriff: Fenton family's CO poisoning death 'tragic accident'
Victims are 2 adults, 4 children
FENTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. – Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell on Monday said it was horrifying and tragic to find the bodies of family who died in their Fenton Township home from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
“It’s just tragic. It’s just sad,” Pickell said. "Tragic, tragic accident."
The bodies of 35-year-old Len and 39-year-old Heather Quasarano, and their children -- Luke, 11, Brenden, 9, Rachel, 7, and Grant, 2 -- were found by a relative Sunday afternoon in the Stony Brook condominium neighborhood.
Pickell said the family was last seen Friday evening at a church event, and that they returned home to find the power was out after a storm.
Pickell said the family hooked up a generator to a propane tank in the basement.
It took rescue crews nearly two hours to clear the home of "toxic fumes," Pickell said.
The bodies were all found in different parts of the home, Pickell said. He added that it appeared the family members had just "dropped" where they were.
Pickell said the incident is a reminder to never keep a generator in a home and to have carbon monoxide detectors.
Neighbors said the family will be greatly missed.
"I'm in shock," said Angela Pender. "(I) don't expect not to see neighbors."
Grief counselors will be at the school Monday.
An online fund has been set up for the family.
Fenton Township is about 15 miles south of Flint down U.S. 23.
Copyright 2016 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.