41ºF

Romeo assistant football coach charged with soliciting students for sex

Hector Jamar Tanner charged with third-degree criminal sexual conduct

ROMEO, Mich. – An assistant football coach at Romeo High School is being charged with soliciting students for sex.

Hector Jamar Tanner, 25, is charged with two counts of using a computer to attempt to commit a crime, to wit, third-degree criminal sexual conduct, and one count of accosting children for immoral purposes.

Tanner, of Romeo, is accused of using a computer tablet given to him by Romeo High School to talk to two female students, ages 15 and 16, from the school on Twitter. According to school officials and police, Tanner solicited the students to join him in a three-way sexual encounter.

The foster mother of one of the students found the Twitter conversation and brought it to Romeo school officials. Officials said they immediately escorted Tanner off of school property.

One of the Twitter messages said, "And yea everyday I have girls literally all over me…lol…It’s like if I don’t [----] one I’m a p[----]..It’s craaaaazy I hear my name everywhere….It’s literally like not my fault that everyone thinks I’m attractive."

Tanner also asked the girls not to tell anyone about the messages. In one message, he said, "And I honestly just don’t want to get canned Or go to jail…:("

"It is absolutely crucial as parents that we keep vigilant about our children’s social media interactions," prosecutor Eric Smith said. "In this day and age, it’s essential that we know what our children are discussing on their devices, and with whom. The danger is out there, and it’s real."

Tanner will be arraigned in Romeo, but the date and time haven't been decided.

Romeo Community Schools Superintendent Eric A. Whitney released the following statement:

"Dear Parents, Guardians and Employees:

I am writing today with an update to the October 12, 2016, letter that was sent to Romeo High School parents and staff. The letter notified them that on October 11, it was brought to the attention of Romeo Community Schools that an employee of a third party contractor had been involved in an inappropriate text- and internet-messaging exchange with at least two students attending Romeo High School.

A concerned adult became alerted to the messaging activity and brought the information to the School District. Upon receiving the information, the School District contacted law enforcement as well as the individual’s employer. In addition, the individual has been barred from school property and school related events and was also instructed not to be in contact with staff or students of Romeo Community Schools. In cases such as this, the most appropriate procedure to follow is to refer the matter to the authorities for a full investigation and to cooperate with them.

We have learned today, through the media, that the individual involved is facing criminal charges. This situation remains a matter for the authorities, and thus we will not be speculating on the process or outcomes. Questions pertaining to this phase of the matter are properly referred to the appropriate authorities.

The safety and support of our students, staff and families is our top priority. This matter underscores the importance that we, as educators and parents, continue to be vigilant regarding our children’s social media activity, particularly when it pertains to their communications with adults."

You can view the full letter to parents, guardians and employees here.

Sign up for ClickOnDetroit Email Newsletters (click here) for more stories like this.