59ºF

3 injured after grease fire sets apartment building ablaze on Detroit's west side

Firefighters stop flames from spreading to surrounding buildings

DETROIT – Three people were taken to the hospital Wednesday night after a fire at an apartment complex on Detroit's west side.

Firefighters battled the fire at the two-story apartment complex on Lahser Road, just south of 8 Mile Road, and kept it from spreading to other buildings.

The incident was caused by a grease fire that got out of control and set the entire apartment on fire, officials said.

Three people were taken to the hospital with smoke inhalation.

photo

"It was like flames, it was coming at him," the apartment manager's wife said. She said her husband tried to battle the blaze with a fire extinguisher, but it was too much.

Stay with ClickOnDetroit.com for updates.

Sign up for ClickOnDetroit breaking news alerts and email newsletters