Man in custody after 2 Detroit police officers shot on city's west side

Raymond Durham arrested in connection with shooting

DETROIT – A 60-year-old man was arrested Wednesday night after allegedly shooting two Detroit police officers near Tillman and Ash streets on the city's west side.

Raymond Durham was taken into custody before 11 p.m. Wednesday near Michigan Avenue and Vinewood Street after police said he exchanged shots with officers.

Detroit police Chief James Craig said two officers were near the area where Sgt. Collin Rose was fatally shot doing an investigation related to Rose's case. They said they saw Durham fidgeting near a known narcotics location and walked over to him.

UPDATE: Detroit police sources: 2 officers shot were not investigating Sgt. Collin Rose murder

While officers were checking Durham's identification, he allegedly pulled a gun out of his pocket and fired shots at both officers.

One of the officers was shot in the ankle and twice in the upper torso. He was wearing protective body armor that police believe saved his life, Craig said.

The other officer was shot in the neck.

Both officers were taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital by police. One is a 20-year veteran at the Detroit Police Department and the other is a four-year veteran, Craig said.

The officers are in critical condition, but are expected to be OK, health officials announced.

Durham fled the scene on foot and officers combed the streets of Detroit for hours. A police helicopter, dozens of patrol cars and Michigan State Police troopers were involved in the manhunt.

He was taken into custody after officers found him just blocks away from the shooting scene. Officers said they received tips that led them to a field at Michigan and Vinewood. Durham was hiding in some weeds in the field with a gun in his waistband.

When police approached him with guns drawn, Durham surrendered.

You can see an image of the scene where Durham was arrested below.

These are the weeds where police found Durham hiding:

"We do have a suspect in custody," Craig said. "I just want to commend the great work of our Detroit police officers."

Craig said Durham was taken to a local hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound he sustained during the initial encounter with police.

"We are very certain that (Durham's injury) happened during the first encounter based on the evidence we have," Craig said. "During the second encounter, the suspect was suffering from a gunshot wound. He was taken into custody without incident."

Craig said a weapon was also recovered during the arrest. He said the gun might be used to determine if Durham has any connection to Rose's shooting.

"We are not ruling anything out," Craig said. "We're looking at everything."

Officers were at the original shooting scene about a mile from where Rose was shot because of an uptick of investigations in that area.

The names of the two officers have not been released. They are in the hospital with their families, Craig said.

Craig provides update on shooting

Jason Colthorp has an update from Detroit Receiving Hospital

Tim Pamplin has specifics about Durham's arrest