Hamtramck High School students dismissed for day after suspected gas leak
Drain cleaner odor causes evacuation at high school
HAMTRAMCK, Mich. – Hamtramck High School was evacuated Wednesday morning due to a suspected gas leak and students were dismissed for the rest of the day.
Students were moved to a community center while the leak was investigated. DTE Energy confirmed there was no gas leak at the school after thoroughly checking all gas lines.
The school was closed until the odor was identified as a drain cleaner.
"The cause of the odor that caused evacuation at Hamtramck High School has been found. It was a drain cleaner that was used in the first floor men’s room," reads a statement from Hamtramck Public Schools district. "The drain cleaning product should not have been used while the building was occupied. Hamtramck Public Schools maintenance employees made a mistake. DTE Energy has tested for gas leaks and has determined that it was not a natural gas leak. HHS is 'safe.' The building is now odor free. An environmental testing company was also contacted and informed us that if DTE Energy deems the building 'safe' their testing will show the same. Any HHS employee wishing to return to work this afternoon may do so if they choose. Hamtramck High School will be open as usual on Thursday March 29, 2018."
All other Hamtramck Public Schools remain open.
Copyright 2018 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.