From Rhonda Walker:
So amazing to reunite with my Local 4 work family this week. My first day back on the set following my two month medical leave felt amazing. On the set with Evrod anchoring our morning newscast and I just could not stop smiling from ear to ear. I also had the honor this week of hosting the 80th annual Automotive Hall of Fame induction and awards gala at MGM Grand with 800 guests there to honor the 2019 inductees. It was great being up on the podium emceeing and connecting with so many friends in the auto industry.
Next up (despite the extremely hot weather) I am looking forward to getting outside and visitng the Art Park at Eastern Market in Detroit and the Ann Arbor Art Fair this weekend. I’m even making a tee timesto play a couple rounds of golf. I’m just thankful to be able to do the actitivies I love again so I don’t even care if I’m dripping with sweat all weekend.
Then, after easing my way back only working Thursday and Friday, it’s back to work Monday for a full week!
have a great weekend everybody!
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Monday, July 22nd, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- 👍 Sweet Relief!
After a stretch of searing hot weather, Monday and Tuesday will provide relief. Skies will be partly to mostly sunny, and the greatest temps will be in the low and middle 80s.
- You can get the full forecast here.
Also, our Kim DeGiulio will help you get around any potential trouble on the roads all morning.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
All Morning -- NAACP National Convention
Presidential candidates and other big names from Washington are in Detroit this week for the annual event, which hasn't been held in the Motor City since 2007. Find out when all the key players are speaking and how you can attend.
5:45 a.m. -- 🏫 Back to School: Sleep Schedules 💤
It may be hard for kids to think about but there aren’t many lazy days of summer vacation left. That means getting back into the “back-to-school” routine, especially when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep.So, how soon should parents end the late nights and get back to a regular sleep schedule? Some eye-opening advice from the experts.
6:10 a.m. -- 💵 Money Monday: Support Our Seniors Summer
Local 4 Business Editor Rod Meloni takes on a basic element of Long Term Care few know about and should: The Ombudsman. Find out why they can be a great source for Long Term Care facilities.
- Rhonda Walker makes tearful return
- What to do if your dog gets heatstroke in extreme weather
- Classic Rock Bracket Round 4: Crowning the best act of the iconic music era
- 3 historic Michigan lighthouses on the Great Lakes to be auctioned
🌕 Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Friday Question: Name the astronauts who actually stepped foot on the moon during the Apollo 11 mission.
- Answer: Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
📅 National Days: July 22nd
- National Penuche Fudge Day
- National Hammock Day
- National Rat Catcher's Day
📜 A Look Back at History: July 19th
- In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln presented to his Cabinet a preliminary draft of the Emancipation Proclamation.
- In 1934, bank robber John Dillinger was shot to death by federal agents outside Chicago’s Biograph Theater, where he had just seen the Clark Gable movie “Manhattan Melodrama.”
- In 1937, the U.S. Senate rejected President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s proposal to add more justices to the Supreme Court.
- In 1963, Sonny Liston knocked out Floyd Patterson in the first round of their rematch in Las Vegas to retain the world heavyweight title.
- In 1991, police in Milwaukee arrested Jeffrey Dahmer, who later confessed to murdering 17 men and boys (Dahmer ended up being beaten to death by a fellow prison inmate).
- In 1992, Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar escaped from his luxury prison near Medellin. (He was slain by security forces in December 1993.)
- In 2014, the Duchess of Cambridge, the former Kate Middleton, gave birth to a son, Prince George, who became third in line to the British throne after Prince Charles and Prince William.
🎂 Celebrity Birthdays: July 22nd
Celebrating a birthday Monday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Selena Gomez is 27.
- Singer Rufu Wainwright is 46.
- Actor David Spade is 55.
- Actor Willem Dafoe is 64.
- Actor Albert Brooks is 72.
- Actor Danny Glover is 73.
- Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek is 79.