25ºF

Local vet warns others after dog’s close call with Halloween candy

LIVONIA, Mich. – Like most children, Wesley, 8, eagerly looked over his Halloween candy haul.

This year, he received a lot of his favorite candies while trick-or-treating Thursday night.

“I was really tired, so I put my candy right here,” Wesley said.

Wesley’s family includes two playful dogs -- Clover and Red -- who don’t miss much.

“They’re brothers and they love each other,” Wesley said.

As it turned out, Clover also loves chocolate and he managed to sneak some out of Wesley’s stash.

Luckily for the family, Wesley’s mom is a veterinarian and she immediately saw the signs.

“When I came upstairs, I noticed his belly was a little bit bigger than usual," Madeline Lutz said. "He let out a belch like a man.”

Lutz knew what to do. She took Clover to the clinic where they immediately induced vomiting.

Clover is feeling much better now and Lutz said his appetite hasn’t changed since the incident.

As for Wesley’s candy stash?

“There’s still a lot left,” Wesley said.

Including his Skittles.

“This was the one thing that I didn’t want him to eat," Wesley said. "And he didn’t eat any of them!”

But there’s a lesson here -- families should make sure Halloween candy stays away from all pets.

READ: Protect your pets on Halloween with this advice from the Michigan Humane Society

Chocolate contains theobromine and dogs metabolize is slowly, causing it to build up to toxic levels. Theobromine can cause muscle tremors, seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, vomiting, dehydration and more issues.


About the Authors: