4 things to watch for -- Monday, November 11th
From Brandon Roux: It’s do-or-die time for both the Lions and the Bears Sunday because neither team can really afford another loss this early in the season. The Lions are 3-4-1 after opening the season with that tie in Arizona. The Bears are 3-5 and both are behind the Vikings and Packers in the NFC East. I predict a great game today and for once, it won’t be all Lions in the first half only to fade away in the second half which seems to be the team’s M.O. this year. I think both of these struggling teams are gonna bring it with great Bears defense in the first half giving the Bears the early lead. But Stafford and company come firing back in the second half to win it 28-25 over the Bears in Chicago.
Some of you may know that I grew up in the northwest Chicago suburbs and have some pretty good memories of this Lions/Bears matchup. Who can forget the first Sunday of NFL games in 2010… the Calvin Johnson ‘No Catch’ game that the refs screwed up and the Bears won 19-14. Johnson caught the go ahead TD from Shaun Hill, got both feet in bounds, and only lost it basically when he finally hit the ground. This started a debate which changed the NFL rules on what is or isn’t a catch.
There was a game in 1985, the season the Bears won the Super Bowl, at the Silverdome where Walter Payton threw a 50 yard bomb to Willie Gault, and ironically Jim McMahon had like a 20 yard rushing TD, and Ron Rivera who coaches the Carolina Panthers now, scored a defensive TD. I remember two games in 1997 where the Lions absolutely man handled the Bears whether it was Scott Mitchell or Erik Kramer and Barry Sanders… the Lions won in Chicago 35-7, and again later in the year in the Silverdome 55-20 where Sanders ran for like 170 yards and 3 TDs. Two of the greatest running backs of all time Walter Payton and Barry Sanders… no doubt.
I do struggle to watch these games nowadays because The Bears are my team, but I really like the Lions too. I think Matt Stafford is one of the most underrated QBs of all time given elements beyond his control. My other struggle is my belief that both teams need to do something different when it comes to big decisions and structuring their teams. Both cities deserve a Super Bowl and no city deserves that more than your Detroit Lions. It’s gonna be a good one today… enjoy.
Here's what's coming up on Monday, November 11, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Chilly Week
Monday is Veteran’s Day and we do expect a little more wet weather then. It should be in the form of snow showers as temps start to drop again early next week. Look for scattered snow coming and going with temps in the upper 20s early and then low to mid 30s in the afternoon. We may see some minor accumulation in a few spots Monday, and some light snow lingers into early Tuesday before it dries out for most of the day. It’s cold all of next week with temps mainly in the teens to low 20s early, and highs in the low to mid 30s.
- Get the full forecast here
Kim DeGiulio will also be watching the roads.
All Morning -- Rhonda’s Brag Book
Rhonda spent her Friday morning surprising a deserving local student who is doing amazing things in her community. You'll see a recap of the surprise.
- Submit someone for Rhonda's Brag book here.
6:10 a.m. -- Money Monday
Clearing the confusion about mutual funds. They can be a tough topic to understand. Local 4 Business Editor Rod Meloni will help sort everything out so you're investing the right way.
6:45 a.m. -- Veterans Day Deals
It's a day to honor our heroes. From food to online items and more. Big named companies want to reward our Veterans with deals on certain items. If you are a Veteran, or know someone who is, we'll give you a guide to savings!
- 57 years ago: Ford Rotunda, a top US tourist attraction, burns down
- ‘Looking Out For You’ float to debut in America’s Thanksgiving Parade
- Millions at stake in dinosaur fight: Are fossils minerals?
- Help Me Hank: Be on the lookout for snow removal scams
❓ Today’s Trivia Retake ❓
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Friday Question: Premium cable network HBO debuted on this day in 1972 by airing what movie?
- Answer: “Sometimes a Great Notion”
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: November 11th
- National Sundae Day
- Veterans Day
History Highlights: November 11th
- In 1620, 41 Pilgrims aboard the Mayflower, anchored off Massachusetts, signed a compact calling for a “body politick.”
- In 1992, the Church of England voted to ordain women as priests.
- In 2008, President George W. Bush marked his last Veterans Day as president at a New York pier, speaking to a crowd of thousands gathered for the rededication of the USS Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum.
Celebrity Birthdays: November 11th
Celebrating a birthday Monday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Film composer Ennio Morricone is 91.
- Country singer Donna Fargo is 78.
- Actor Jack Scalia is 69.
- Actor-comedian Sinbad is 63.
- Comedian Tracy Morgan (“30 Rock”) is 51.
- Actress Ellen Pompeo (“Grey’s Anatomy”) is 50.
- Rapper U-God of Wu-Tang Clan is 49.
- Rapper Warren G is 49.
- Country singer Miranda Lambert is 36.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.