DETROIT - Detroit Fire Department arson investigators are trying to catch a serial arsonist who went on a fire-setting rampage overnight.
Eleven fires sent flames and smoke into the sky early Monday morning at several buildings in the area of Chene and Ferry. Most of the buildings to burn were vacant, but one was a church and at least one had people living inside it.
One firefighter was hurt. He was sent to Detroit Receiving Hospital with a head injury. He was expected to be OK.
Areas where fires were set
- Chene & Pierce. Fire here spread across the street to a vacant church.
- Chene and Erskine is the scene of another fire, not 500 yards away from Chene and Pierce.
- Mt.Elliotand Warren, a family was forced from their home when a garage was set on fire and the fire spread to their house.
- Moran and Medbury
- Hancock and McDougal
- Forest and Mt.Elliot is the scene of a large vacant home that was set on fire.
- Chene & Ferry, four vacant homes were burned and then later reignited.
Exhausted fire crews had to rush to return to that scene to put the fire out for a second time.
Sources tell Local 4's Shawn Ley that investigators think the arsons are the work of one person.
Last week about a dozen fires were set in the same area.
Copyright 2012 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.