SOUTHFIELD, Mich. – Central Park Boulevard was closed in Southfield as authorities investigated a potential hazmat situation at a hotel Wednesday morning.
According to Southfield police, an employee at the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, located on Central Park Boulevard, smelled chemicals in a room. The smell reportedly was so bad they had to close the door, police said.
According to authorities, the fire department evacuated everyone within 300 feet of the room from the building as officials worked to find out what kind of chemicals they were dealing with.
The area was reopened just before 2 p.m. Wednesday when authorities said the caustic chemical smell was revealed to be hair dye.
This report initially incorrectly stated that a dead body was found in the hotel room with the spilled chemicals.
More: Local news