OXFORD, Mich. – The Board of Education for Oxford Community Schools held its first board meeting since the shooting at Oxford High School.
Four students were killed and seven people were injured in the Nov. 30 mass shooting. A 15-year-old is facing charges as an adult in the case. His parents have also been charged.
On Tuesday, the superintendent of Oxford schools, Tim Throne announced that he would be putting his retirement plans on hold.
Throne and other school leaders met with media before the Dec. 14 school board meeting. You can watch that entire meeting in the video player below.
“Since Nov. 30 everyone in our Wildcat Nation has been sharing and participating in the grieving process. Students, parents, community members, staff members, board members, you name it. We have been shaken to our core,” Throne said. “We are committed to providing emotional support, counseling, not just today -- but in the weeks and months ahead. I cannot begin to express our gratitude for the outpouring of love that we have seen.”
Throne said their main focus has been on sharing in the grieving process and reopening the schools. Many officials have spoken with their counterparts in other districts where shootings have occurred. Throne said they have all indicated the sooner they can get students back into the classroom, the better.
“I want you to know that we have been cooperating fully with the Oakland County Sheriff’s Department as well as the Oakland County Prosecutor’s office. We, too, want justice and accountability. In fact, one of our core values is accountability,” Throne said.
Throne said they will continue to answer any and all questions. He said they have provided all evidence to the investigators. Throne recommends that a third party investigates the shooting.
You can watch the entire meeting below:
School leaders speak ahead of board meeting
Here’s what was on the agenda for Dec. 14:
- 1. Attendance
- President Donnelly
- Vice President Griffith
- Secretary Shafer
- Treasurer Bailey
- Trustee D’Alessando
- Trustee Foster
- Trustee Hanser
- Central Office staff:
- Superintendent Tim Throne
- Deputy Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction Kenneth Weaver
- Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources David Pass
- Assistant Superintendent of Business and Operations Sam Barna
- Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Instruction Anita Qonja-Collins
- Assistant Superintendent of Student Services Jill Lemond
- 2. Changes to the board agenda
- 3. Consent Agenda
- 3.A. Nov. 23, 2021 meeting minutes
- 3.B. Nov. 23, 2021 closed meeting minutes
- 3.C. December 2021 Bills Payable, $5,712,930.09.
- 4. Board of Education matters
- 4.A. Resolution for a Third Party Review.
- 4.B. Superintendent Search Timeline.
- 4.C. Safety Update - Jill Lemond.
- 5. Finance / operations
- 5.A. Summer Tax Resolution - Continuation of Summer tax levy.
- 6. Unscheduled audience participation
- 7. Scheduled activities
- 8. Clarification
- 9. Final board comments
- 10. Other
- 11. Adjournment