Skip to main content

AG Dana Nessel drops charges against University of Michigan pro-Palestinian protesters

Charges dropped for 7

FILE - Dozens of tents in place as part of a pro-Palestinian protest at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Mich., May 2, 2024. (AP Photo/Ed White, File) (Ed White, Copyright 2024 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel dropped charges against seven people who were arrested in connection with pro-Palestinian protests at the University of Michigan last year.

These seven people were charged with trespassing and resisting and/or obstructing a police officer. The charges stem from when officers moved in to clear an encampment at the University of Michigan Diag in May 2024.

Here’s the statement Nessel released after dropping the charges:

“When my office made the decision to issue charges of Trespassing and Resisting and Obstructing a Police Officer in this matter, we did so based on the evidence and facts of the case. I stand by those charges and that determination.

Despite months and months of court hearings, the Court has yet to make a determination on whether probable cause was demonstrated that the defendants committed these crimes, and if so, to bind the case over to circuit court for trial, which is the primary obligation of the district court for any felony offense. During this time, the case has become a lightning rod of contention.

Baseless and absurd allegations of bias have only furthered this divide. The motion for recusal has been a diversionary tactic which has only served to further delay the proceedings. And now, we have learned that a public statement in support of my office from a local non-profit has been directly communicated to the Court. The impropriety of this action has led us to the difficult decision to drop these charges.

These distractions and ongoing delays have created a circus-like atmosphere to these proceedings. While I stand by my charging decisions, and believe, based on the evidence, a reasonable jury would find the defendants guilty of the crimes alleged, I no longer believe these cases to be a prudent use of my department’s resources, and, as such, I have decided to dismiss the cases.”

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel

This comes after Nessel faced recent calls to reconsider the charges that were issued against these people.

The Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-MI) released the following statement after the charges were dropped:

“We welcome the dismissal of these excessive and retaliatory felony charges, which never should have been filed in the first place. But this moment demands more. All charges stemming from this peaceful protest should be dismissed. These prosecutions appear to have been driven not by law but by a desire to silence students and community members calling for the recognition of Palestinian human rights and accountability from the University of Michigan for its investments in Israeli weapons manufacturers. The continued prosecution of these individuals is a stain on our state’s commitment to civil liberties and equal justice.”

CAIR-MI Executive Director Dawud Walid.

Nessel previously said the protesters had “physically obstructed the police and pushed against their bodies” when they were told to leave the encampment.

Previous Coverage: