Skip to main content

What to know about deadly mass shooting in Northern Michigan

Six, including shooter, found dead; One injured

MISSAUKEE COUNTY, Mich. – Five people were killed, and one person was injured after a mass shooting in northern Michigan on Friday. The suspected shooter is also dead.

The shooting happened on Friday, Aug. 14, in Missaukee County, which is about 50 miles southeast of Traverse City.

Previous coverage --> 6 dead, one critically injured in Missaukee County shooting; suspect found dead

Michigan State Police released some details on the people who were shot over the weekend, but have not yet released information on the relationships between the victims.

Michigan State Police said the investigation began on Aug. 14 just before 12 p.m. after receiving a call from a 13-year-old girl reporting she had been shot.

When police responded to a home on South LaChance Road in Lake Township, they found the 13-year-old girl with a gunshot wound. She was initially in critical condition, but police said she is expected to recover.

Three other people were found dead at the home on South LaChance Road. Police identified them as a 45-year-old man, a 40-year-old woman and a 16-year-old boy.

Police identified the suspect as Chad Hickman, 39, and began searching for him.

During the search, officers found another person, a 53-year-old man, dead in a separate home in Missaukee County.

After a further search, police later found a woman, identified as a 29-year-old, dead alongside Hickman in a wooded area near Whitlock Lake in Caldwell Township.

Investigators are still working on finding a possible motive in the shooting.