Michigan tunnel melee now in hands of prosecutor for review

Players of the Michigan Wolverines carry the Paul Bunyan trophy into the tunnel after winning a college football game against the Michigan State Spartans at Michigan Stadium on October 29, 2022 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The Michigan Wolverines won the game 29-7 over the Michigan State Spartans. (Aaron J. Thornton, 2022 Getty Images)

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The police investigation into the melee in Michigan Stadium’s tunnel has been turned over to the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office for review.

University of Michigan Deputy Police Chief Melissa Overton made the announcement Saturday night, two weeks after multiple members of Michigan State's football team roughed up two Michigan players.

“Consistent with our commitment to transparency and due process, we will not share further information pending the prosecutor’s office review," Overton said.

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh has said he expects the suspended Spartans to be criminally charged.

Michigan State coach Mel Tucker suspended eight players for their role in the melee, and they sat out a second game Saturday in a 27-21 win over Rutgers.

Harbaugh said defensive back Gemon Green was punched by a Spartans player, sparking the fracas shortly after the Wolverines beat their in-state rivals, and that teammate Ja’Den McBurrows was attacked when he tried to help.

Green was left with a concussion, which kept him out of one game before returning to play in Michigan's 34-3 win over Nebraska on Saturday.

Attorney Tom Mars, who is representing Green, has said his client deserves to be compensated for his injuries.

Michigan increased the security presence in and around the tunnel and prevented Wolverines from entering it until each Nebraska player left the field at halftime and following the game.


More AP college football: https://apnews.com/hub/college-football and https://twitter.com/AP_Top25. Sign up for the AP’s college football newsletter: https://bit.ly/3pqZVaF