Police and officials with the Better Business Bureau issued a warning about the scam in Metro Detroit.
The scammers have been especially prominent in Oakland County, according to authorities.
With more people staying at home during the pandemic, scammers are having more success going door-to-door, experts said.
Melanie Duquesnel, of the BBB, is urging residents to be cautious if anyone shows up at the door and offers a great deal.
You can watch the full Help Me Hank report in the video above.
- Police find man injured in hit-and-run in middle of road on Detroit’s west side
- Michigan Gov. Whitmer wants clarification on when coronavirus orders will no longer be in effect
- City of Dearborn strongly discourages trick-or-treating this Halloween
- Warren police want FBI to investigate double murder involving woman, boy
- Police warn of election scam involving ‘group of activists’ going door-to-door to collect ballots