4 things to watch for -- Wednesday, November 13th
Rhonda Walker: What’s better on a snow day than cozing up and eating a good meal and boy did we ever today for our Tasty Tuesday segment during our show this morning!
In case you missed it, we featured a renowned chef to the stars who just opened a new restaurant in Detroit with a Caribbean theme. And let me tell you, everything was so delicious! I added some pics of my favorites below but first let me tell you about this restaurant and Chef Max.
Chef Max Hardy is the owner and executive chef of COOP Detroit Caribbean Fusion inside of the Detroit Shipping Company on 474 Peterboro St. in Detroit’s midtown community. If you have not been this is such a cool dining experience, inside is a collection of 30 shipping containers re-purposed into a food court complex. COOP Detroit is one of several restaurants there and it features a fast-casual style cuisine combining Asian and Caribbean flavors.
And guess what? Chef Max was born and raised in Detroit before attending culinary school in Miami, Florida at Johnson & Wales University. He began the dream culinary journey at the age of 18 while in school as the executive chef to several music stars, royalty and professional athletes like Missy Elliott, TI, Fabulous, the Prince of Dubai and NBA star Amar’e Stoudemire, the two also co-authored a cookbook together.
A competitor on the Food Network’s hit shows, Chopped and Beat Bobby Flay and recently named one of America’s top 16 chefs by the New York Times, Chef Max came back to Detroit to bring his vast cooking talent to his home town.
Here are a few of my favorites I tasted this morning from the COOP Detroit menu. The open-faced crispy chicken sandwich was amazing and a yummy unique twist on this classic, the Caribbean corn-on-the-cob is nothing like your summer barbecue style, it features toasted coconut flakes and queso fresco cheese on top, yum!!! Of course the Jamaican Jerk Chicken is a must try with the plantains on the side but oh my the fire-roasted brussel sprouts tossed in his bacon-jam, hands down my favorite in this spread. The best brussel sprouts I’ve ever had, I begged Chef Max for the recipe it was so amazing and to my surprise he gave it to me😊
To learn more about Coop Detroit Caribbean Fusion watch today’s Tasty Tuesday segment or go check them out in midtown.
Here’s what’s coming up on Wednesday, November 13, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Bitter Cold Temps
Brandon Roux: Wednesday starts with bitter cold temps in the single digits to low teens and still a bit of a breeze which means subzero wind chills for a few hours early tomorrow. We will start with sun and clouds but more clouds than sun through the afternoon without any more snow during the daylight hours. Highs will be in the neighborhood of 30°F and the winds S 5-12 mph gusting to 18 mph again keeps wind chills in the dangerous category tomorrow.
All Morning -- Road Conditions
Kim DeGiulio: With the wintry weather blanketing Metro Detroit, road conditions can be slick. I’ll have the problems to watch out for and help you get around any of those trouble spots.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- Rhonda’s Brag Book
Do you know a young person who is really making a difference in our community? A standout student, volunteer, star athlete - or all around incredible person?As Rhonda mentioned, we want you to submit their information on ClickOnDetroit and they could land in Rhonda Walker’s brag book! As Rhonda mentioned, she’ll show off two incredible students Wednesday.
6:40 a.m. -- Wellness Wednesday: Open Enrollment
Dr. Frank McGeorge: It’s open enrollment season and that means many of you are facing big decisions about your health insurance for next year. I’ll show you the most common mistake people make *and* how to get the most out of open enrollment.
- Report: Election vendors are ‘prime targets,’ need oversight
- U-M frat defends the Diag against MSU vandals despite heavy snow in Ann Arbor
- Former President Jimmy Carter enters hospital for surgery
- Heart recipient battling cancer delivers powerful message
❓ Today’s Trivia Retake ❓
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Tuesday Question: What are the names of Jenna Bush Hagger’s three children?
- Answer: Henry, Poppy and Mila
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: November 13th
- National Indian Pudding Day
- World Kindness Day
History Highlights: November 13th
- In 1789, Benjamin Franklin wrote in a letter to a friend, Jean-Baptiste Leroy: “In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.”
- In 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a measure lowering the minimum draft age from 21 to 18.
- In 1956, the Supreme Court struck down laws calling for racial segregation on public buses.
- In 1982, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial was dedicated on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.
Celebrity Birthdays: November 13th
Celebrating a birthday Wednesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actor Jimmy Hawkins (“It’s a Wonderful Life”) is 78.
- Actor Joe Mantegna is 72.
- Actress Tracy Scoggins (“Babylon 5,” ”Lois and Clark”) is 66.
- Actor Chris Noth (“Law and Order: Criminal Intent,” ”Sex and the City”) is 65.
- Actress Whoopi Goldberg is 64.
- Comedian Jimmy Kimmel is 52.
- Actor Steve Zahn (“Happy, Texas,” ”That Thing You Do!”) is 52.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.