Former Grosse Pointe North HS student Corey Harris Thomas killed in shooting over shoes in Detroit

Police say 17-year-old was shot during meeting for shoe sale

DETROIT – A 17-year-old boy shot and killed Tuesday afternoon on Detroit's west side has been identified as a former Grosse Pointe North High School student. 

Corey Harris Thomas was shot dead when he was involved in a what was supposed to be the sale of Air Jordan shoes. It's unclear at this time what role Harris had in the sale -- whether he was selling or buying. However, police said a 19-year-old man is in custody in connection to the shooting. Another person suffered a gunshot wound to their arm and was treated at a nearby hospital. 

Grosse Pointe North High School Principal Kate Murray released a statement Wednesday to the school community, explaining Harris withdrew from the school last year. He would have been a junior this year.

Here is Murray's letter:

Dear Norsemen,

I'm sorry to inform you that former North student Corey Harris Thomas died today. Details surrounding his death are still under police investigation. He has two siblings in 8th grade. Please keep the family in your thoughts and prayers.

Please keep an eye on our students tomorrow. Corey withdrew last year and would have been junior this year. Please send struggling students to the counseling center where our mental health team will be waiting. If you are struggling and need to step out of your classroom, please don't hesitate to contact us and we'll cover your class.

Take care,

What happened

Harris was in a Jeep with two other people about 1:50 p.m. Tuesday in the 15300 block of Pinehurst Street, which is near Fenkell Avenue and Meyers Road. The three had met for the shoe sale, police said. At some point during the meeting the front-seat passenger and back-seat passenger pulled out guns, police said. Harris was sitting in the driver's seat. He was shot in his head and chest. He was pronounced dead at the scene. 

The front-seat passenger was shot in the arm. He was taken for treatment at a hospital. Police recovered both guns. 

Nearby Loyola High School was placed on lockdown because the other gunman, who was not shot, fled on foot. The 19-year-old man's arrest was announced Wednesday morning. 

RELATED: Local police departments host safe transaction posts

Sign up for ClickOnDetroit breaking news alerts and email newsletters

About the Author: