Troy home damaged in structural fire
Fire believed to have started with fireplace ashes placed in trash cans
TROY, Mich. – A fire broke out in the garage of a Troy home Thursday. There were no injuries reported.
According to authorities, at approximately 1:18 p.m. on Thursday, the Troy Fire Department arrived at a home with a fire burning through its attached garage. The homeowner met with firefighters and reported that no one was inside the home.
As a team of firefighters fought the fire from the outside, a second team entered the home to confirm that no one was inside it and to see how the fire was spreading inside.
The fire was put out before it breached the home, authorities said. Firefighters then went to work extinguishing smaller fires inside the garage.
Fire damage was mostly contained to the garage, while some smoke and water damage occurred inside a portion of the first floor of the home. Authorities said investigators determined the fire started outside of the garage, where the occupants store their trash cans.
Among the items that were disposed in these containers were most likely ashes from the fireplace. All residents are reminded that ashes from the fireplace should only be disposed in metal cans with metal lids.
A neighboring house to the west suffered heat damage, melting the vinyl siding.
The occupants are unable to return to the home until the building official has had the opportunity to determine the home’s condition.
Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.