9-year-old victim of house fire on Detroit's west side dies

Victim's organs expected to save lives of six children

DETROIT – Orlando Brown, 9, was taken off life support and died this weekend after being injured in a house fire on Detroit's west side Wednesday, family members of the victim confirmed to Local 4. 

Tests completed afterward showed Brown had no brain activity.

 Brown's mother, Jasmine Cosby, 28, and little brother, Jayden Pettway, 7, were also seriously injured in the house fire that started around 2:30 a.m. in the 14500 block of Hubbell Avenue.

As of Sunday morning, both Cosby and Pettway were recovering from injuries. Brown's organs will be donated to save the lives of six children, family members said.  

RELATED: Doctors working to save young brothers, mother

The fire was caused by an electrical problem in the basement. Smoke detectors in the home were not working. 

Brown suffered from carbon monoxide poison and smoke inhalation. He was pronounced dead Friday, family members said. 

After the fire, all three victims were treated at area hospitals for burns and smoke inhalation.

When firefighters reached Brown inside the burning home, he was not responsive, officials said. 

Pettway was pulled from the home by a family member and suffered burns. Detroit firefighters said 80 percent of Pettway's body was burned.

An online fundraiser has been started to help support the family. 

About the Author:

Natasha Dado is a digital content producer for ClickOnDetroit.