Lake St. Clair sunset -- Leesar777/StormPins
Like we were talking about yesterday, each day this week has a similar forecast: Heat and humidity with a chance for thunderstorms. Afternoon showers and storms are possible again today.
Hang in there through this hot weather and be sure to check on family, friends and neighbors. Make sure everyone is staying hydrated and as cool as possible.
Check the latest forecast at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
There will be road construction relief in Metro Detroit during the holiday weekend (yay!). However (boo!), there will be some lane and ramp closures in place:
- I-75 in Oakland County: Two lanes open in each direction between Chrysler Drive and Square Lake Road.
- I-75 in Oakland County: Two lanes open in each direction between Coolidge Road and 13 Mile Road.
- I-75 in Detroit: Northbound and southbound ramps to westbound I-94 closed and detoured.
- I-94 in Detroit: Eastbound ramp to northbound M-10 closed and detoured.
Always check the live Traffic Map here.
Ozone Action Day 🌎
Today is the first Ozone Action day of the year in Michigan. You can pitch in to help keep the air clean today:
- Delay mowing your lawn until evening or the next day.
- Leave your car at home. Instead, take the bus, carpool, bike, walk, or telecommute. (This might not be so practical for you, but if it is, give it a try just for today!)
- Avoid refueling your vehicle during daylight hours. Fumes released at the gas pump contribute to ozone formation.
- Delay or combine errands.
DTW airline workers picket ✈️
Airline catering workers plan to picket as part of their strike today at Detroit Metro Airport. Congressmembers Andy Levin and Brenda Lawrence are expected to join them at the McNamara Terminal departures. They are demanding better wages and affordable health care.
A candlelit vigil is planned for 8 p.m. tonight in Dearborn Heights for the family that was struck and killed by the police car last week. A mother and her 10-year-old son died in the crash involving an Inkster police cruiser.
This is one of the bigger fireworks shows in the region. The fireworks will be visible throughout the Shelby Township DDA Van Dyke corridor beginning at 10 p.m. The township will host families at Ford Field Central Park at 7460 23 Mile Road.
🗓️ Here's what's coming up this month:
- Today: Clawson Fourth of July Celebration ramps up! 🎆 🇺🇸
- 3p-9p – Arts & Crafts Fair at Clawson Park
- 3p-9p – Clawson Carnival Midway at Clawson Park
- 3p-9p – Monster Truck Rides at Schalm Parking Lot
- 3p – Little League All-Star Games at Clawson Park
- Tonight -- Shelby Township fireworks show 🎆 🇺🇸
- July 5 -- Snoop Dogg plays the Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre
- July 20 -- Jeff Lynne's ELO at Little Caesars Arena
- July 21 -- Taco Showdown Detroit 2019 at Eastern Market
- July 22 -- Taste Fest 2019 at Jimmy Johns Field
- July 23 -- NAACP National Convention Diversity Career Fair at Cobo Center
- July 26 -- Ypsilanti Summer Beer Festival
- July 27-28 -- MO POP Festival 2019
- July 30-31 -- The second Democratic presidential primary debate will be held in Detroit.
Check the Live Guide calendar for more local events, and post your own.
DSO plays Greenfield Village 🎷🎺🎻🥁
This could be a great way to spend time with your family if you're not heading out of town for the holiday. The Detroit Symphony Orchestra will return to historic Greenfield Village at The Henry Ford this week to present the 27th annual Salute to America celebration, with four concerts in as many nights.
The concerts take place today, tomorrow, Friday and Saturday. Gates open at 6 p.m.
Exclusive Deal: 50% off tickets to the Renaissance Festival ⚔️♞
It's available for a limited-time - you can only buy these tickets for a 50% discount through Aug. 17.
Here's a link to learn more about the 2019 Renaissance Festival. This year's festival runs weekends and Labor Day, Aug. 17 to Sept. 29. The fun all happens at 12600 Dixie Hwy, Holly, MI 48442 (Map)
Adventure awaits! Purchase your half-off tickets here!
📷 Today's Featured Photo: Lake St. Clair sunset -- Leesar777/StormPins
Submit your photo: