ClickOnDetroit National Report -- Wednesday, July 31, 2019
Proposal to allow drug importation from Canada
The Trump administration took hesitant first steps Wednesday to allow the importation of certain drugs from Canada and other countries.
Around the country:
- Missouri: Abortion rights supporters are suing Missouri over its ban on abortions after eight weeks of pregnancy, arguing that the measure is unconstitutional. Read more.
- Miami: Two Transportation Security Administration officers have been placed on leave after a racist display was found inside a TSA workstation at Miami International Airport. Read more.
- Kentucky: Miners on Tuesday blocked the tracks of a coal train in Kentucky for a second straight day as part of a standoff between a coal company that filed for bankruptcy and left nearly 400 workers without work and pay for a month. Read more.
- Minnesota: A Delta pilot was taken off a fully boarded plane on Tuesday morning at the Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport and arrested on suspicion of being under the influence of alcohol. Read more.
- Ohio: A 79-year-old woman in Ohio was sentenced to 10 days in jail because she was feeding stray cats, according to CNN. Read more.
Investigators: Gilroy shooter likely acted alone
The gunman who opened fire at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in Northern California over the weekend likely acted alone, police said Tuesday.
Elleged Capital One hacker may have hit other targets
The Justice Department may bring additional hacking charges against Paige Thompson, the former engineer accused of downloading more than 100 million Capital One customers' personal information.
Gangster John Dillinger's body to be exhumed
The body of John Dillinger, a notorious American gangster who operated during the Great Depression, is set to be exhumed from its resting place in an Indiana cemetery.
Takeaways from the Democratic debate's first night
A handful of low-polling moderates hoped to break through in a crowded Democratic field during Tuesday's debate by confronting the top-tier candidates on stage, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.
- AP FACT CHECK: Examining claims from 2020 Democratic debate
- Ivanka Trump tweets support for Baltimore
- Calif. bill requires presidential candidates to submit tax returns
- Twitter suspends account hours after Trump retweeted it
Trailer released for Martin Scorsese's Hoffa film
The first real look at "The Irishman," director Martin Scorsese’s film on organized crime and the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa, was released on Wednesday.
More ENTERTAINMENT headlines:
- Cardi B postpones Indianapolis concert due to threat
- Grant Thompson, YouTube star, dies in paragliding accident
- Coroner: Cameron Boyce's death 'sudden' and 'unexpected'
- 'The Lion King' becomes Disney's 4th billion-dollar film of 2019
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.