DETROIT – Kim DeGiulio: Monday was my 4 year anniversary at Local 4! Time sure does fly when you’re having fun. I remember my first day like it was yesterday. I was nervous but so excited! I couldn’t believe I was going to get to be on channel 4, working in my hometown! My whole family was watching. They were so supportive and excited for me!
At first, my job was really hard. I wanted to be good at it immediately but I had a lot to learn! I was working alongside Rhonda, Evrod and Brandon, some of the best in the business! It was intimidating. They had been at this for years, and I was such a newbie. Thankfully I hit the jackpot when it comes to co-workers. They immediately embraced me as the new traffic reporter and taught me so much. In no time I was getting the hang of the whole traffic thing. I was learning so much from them and getting a lot better. Not only did I enjoy working with Rhonda, Evrod and Brandon, I ended up becoming close with all of them along the way and building everlasting friendships.
I think if you’ve been watching Local 4 News Today ever since I started, you’ve probably been able to see the progress that I’ve made as a reporter and see my relationships with Rhonda, Evrod and Brandon grow. On Monday it was fun to look back at some old pictures from my first day here. I can’t help but think about how lucky I am to be here and how lucky I am to get to be a part of your morning routine every morning. Thank you!
Here's what's coming up on Thursday, October 31, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Freaky Forecast
Brandon Roux: Rain showers continue as we head into Halloween with morning showers that could be the heaviest of this whole batch and will likely push those wonderful Spooky school parades indoors. Rain again will be coming at us here in SE Lower Michigan and Southern Ontario all day with occasional breaks in the action but not many. Rain totals from two days of rain will be at least a half inch on the lower side, and many areas seeing an inch to an inch and a half. Model data does suggest that showers may lighten up during prime Trick-Or-Treating hours (6-8pm) but it will be cool and quite breezy as highs in the low 50s tomorrow will be falling through the 40s as you’re out and about with your little ghosts and goblins.
- Get the full forecast here
All Morning -- Orange Barrel Alert
Our Kim DeGiulio will be watching the roads for us all morning. She'll have all the construction updates and traffic trouble spots you can expect for Thursday, Friday and the weekend.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
6:40 a.m. -- Help Me Hank: Scam Alert
There's a scam that's targeting local women. Consumer Investigator Hank Winchester will show you how it could cost you big money and what you can do to protect yourself.
6:50 a.m. -- Local 4 News Today Halloween Costume Reveal
Think you know what our crew will be this year? Here's a preview. Take a guess on the Local 4 Facebook page and watch Thursday at 6:50 a.m. to find out. One hint: Records.
- The benefits of red light therapy, where to go in Metro Detroit
- Detroit-born actor John Witherspoon dies, played Pops in ‘Friday’
- Halloween 2019: Trick-or-treat times in Metro Detroit
- NCAA board votes to permit student-athletes to benefit from name, image, likeness
Today’s Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Wednesday Question: Muhammad Ali knocked out George Foreman in Zaire, Africa on this day in 1974. What was this fight famously called?
- Answer: Rumble in the Jungle
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: October 31st
- National Doorbell Day
- National Caramel Apple Day
- National Knock-Knock Jokes Day
- National Magic Day
- Girl Scout Founder's Day
History Highlights: October 31st
- In 1864, Nevada became the 36th state as President Abraham Lincoln signed a proclamation.
- In 1926, magician Harry Houdini died in Detroit of peritonitis resulting from a ruptured appendix.
- In 1961, the body of Josef Stalin was removed from Lenin’s Tomb as part of the Soviet Union’s “de-Stalinization” drive.
- In 1975, the Queen single “Bohemian Rhapsody” was released in the United Kingdom by EMI Records.
- In 1998, a genetic study was released suggesting President Thomas Jefferson did in fact father at least one child by his slave Sally Hemings.
Celebrity Birthdays: October 31st
Celebrating a birthday Thursday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Lee Grant is 94.
- Anchorman Dan Rather is 88.
- Actor Ron Rifkin (“Alias”) is 81.
- Actress Sally Kirkland is 78.
- Actress Deidre Hall (“Days of Our Lives”) is 72.
- Journalist Jane Pauley is 69.
- Broadway performer Brian Stokes Mitchell is 62.
- Director Peter Jackson (“Lord of the Rings”) is 58.
- Actor Dermot Mulroney is 56.
- Country singer Darryl Worley is 55.
- Actor Rob Schneider is 55.
- Musician Rob Van Winkle (Vanilla Ice) is 52.
- Actress Piper Perabo is 43.
- Actor Eddie Kaye Thomas (“American Pie”) is 39.
- Singer-actress Willow Smith is 19.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links