Michigan Gov. Whitmer extends stay-at-home order today
Live news conference at 11 a.m. Friday
The Michigan governor is extending a stay-at-home order Friday that has been put in place to help stop the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Whitmer will hold a news conference at 11 a.m. Friday -- watch it live here.
- UPDATE: Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer extends stay-at-home order, with loosened restrictions
Earlier this week, Whitmer said it would be likely the state will need a short-term extension of the stay-home order, which expires on April 30. On Friday, it was announced the order has been extended through May 15. It was previously in effect through the end of April. Whitmer has lifted restrictions so some businesses linked to outdoor activities can reopen, such as golf and motorized boating. The revised order goes into effect Friday.
Several other states had already extended stay-home measures into May, including Connecticut (May 20), Delaware (May 15), California, New York (May 15), Vermont (May 15), Virginia (June 10), Illinois (May 31) and Wisconsin (May 26).
Meanwhile, both the Michigan State House and Senate will be in session on Friday to do two things. First is a joint committee to oversee and question the state’s COVID-19 response.
“We’ve received thousands of phone calls,” House Speaker Lee Chatfield said. “From people around our state who are frightened. Who are frustrated because they can’t get unemployment benefits they’ve been promised. Or because they’ve had their livelihoods taken away, or they’re being told they can’t work a job and take care of their family.”
The number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Michigan has risen to 35,291 as of Thursday, including 2,977 deaths, state officials report. Thursday brought an additional 1,325 cases and 164 deaths. Wednesday’s total was 33,966 confirmed cases and 2,813 deaths.
“As a result of the most recent review of Vital Records and testing data, today’s data includes 55 additional deaths,” the state website says.
- COVID -19 data -- tracking cases, deaths, recoveries
- Wayne County, Mich. COVID-19 data -- daily new cases, deaths, data for each city in Wayne County
- Detroit COVID-19 data -- tracking cases, deaths, more
- PHOTOS: Faces of frontline workers -- submit a photo
- Help local restaurants, frontline workers
Copyright 2020 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.