2 elementary students hospitalized after eating marijuana edibles in Livonia classroom

Fifth grade student brought THC candy to class, shared with classmate, officials said

LIVONIA, Mich. – Two fifth grade students at Grand River Academy were hospitalized as a precaution after reportedly consuming marijuana edibles while at school.

Officials say that a fifth grade student brought a THC-infused gummy candy to the Livonia elementary school this week and shared the edible with a peer. Both children were removed from the school to receive medical attention as a precaution, officials reported.

“While edibles like these look like candy, they certainly are not -- and parents need to take responsibility to keep these kinds of products out of the reach of their children,” said a spokesperson for the elementary school. “While we try to keep an eye on everything our students bring to school, that’s simply not possible.

“We recognize this is a disturbing situation for any family and are working directly with the families of those students who were involved. We have also taken this opportunity to remind parents we have a zero-tolerance policy for bringing banned items to school. We encourage all parents and guardians to be vigilant about the food and snacks they are sending to school with their children.”

Dr. Whitney Minnock, a pediatric emergency physician at Beaumont Royal Oak, told Local 4 that they have been treating more children who accidentally eat marijuana edibles over the last few years.

“Sometimes they get into the hospital, and they can be unresponsive and require some assistance breathing,” Minnock said. “Some kids have seizure-like activities. It can be very bad.”

Minnock encourages anyone who has marijuana-infused food or candies in their home to lock them away so that children cannot gain access. Minnock said cannabis edibles look like food and not marijuana, and kids might consume a considerable amount.

Grand River Academy experienced a similar issue in April, when a kindergarten student brought a premixed bottle of Jose Cuervo to class and shared it with four classmates.

Following that incident, the Grand River Academy Principal said school officials took disciplinary measures in accordance with the student code of conduct, and that school leaders are working to ensure “students are making safe and smart choices, and we actively encourage them to practice ‘hear something, see something, say something.’”

Read more: Kindergarten student brings Jose Cuervo mix to class in Livonia, shared it with 4 others


About the Author:

Cassidy Johncox is a senior digital news editor covering stories across the spectrum, with a special focus on politics and community issues.