A project to resurface Orchard Lake Road in Oakland County starts Monday and it’s expected to last through the fall.
The Oakland County Road Commission said the project will rehabilitate and resurface Orchard Lake Road from west of Middlebelt Road east to Old Telegraph Road in the communities of Sylvan Lake, West Bloomfield Township, Bloomfield Township and Pontiac. Work started on Monday (June 20).
Here’s what to know if you drive in these areas:
- One lane of traffic in each direction will remain open throughout the project.
- During stage 1, traffic will be moved onto the north side of the road while crews work on the south side.
- Throughout stage 2, traffic will be shifted to the south side while crews work on the north side.
Road construction is expected to be completed by the fall. This approximately $2.1 million project will be paid for with a combination of federal road funds, RCOC dollars, funds from the communities and funds from Oakland County general government (through the Tri-Party Program).
This project includes:
- Milling (grinding off) the existing road surface
- Repaving with three inches of new asphalt
- Widening the four-lane section east of Middlebelt Road into five lanes with a continuous center left-turn lane
- Replacing some concrete slabs in the section between the Telegraph Road bridge and Old Telegraph
- Removing the median island near Pontiac Drive
- Repairing curbs and gutters
- Upgrading pedestrian crosswalks to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Upgrading storm sewers and drainage
- Upgrading traffic signals