Nigerian Gov’t Staff Forced to Take Secrecy Oath After Daily Beast Reveals President’s Twitter Meltdown
GettyABUJA, Nigeria— Dozens of employees working in the State House, where the offices of Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo are located, were gathered in a room and forced to take an Oath of Secrecy earlier this week because the president’s top aides were “embarrassed” by The Daily Beast report revealing the reasons behind his demand for a nationwide Twitter ban, according to two officials.The government was open about the mass-oath-taking, billing it as a stanews.yahoo.com
Donations pour in for families of Atlanta shooting victims
(AP Photo/Ben Gray)Shortly after his mother was killed in the Atlanta-area shootings, Randy Park launched a GoFundMe page asking for $20,000 to pay for funeral expenses. For now, donors to victims of the Atlanta shootings must scour individual GoFundMe accounts. A page for Yong Yue’s family drew more than $115,000. AdPark's family was the first to launch a GoFundMe page. This is simply a change in my life,” Park wrote to the 70,000 people who had contributed as of Sunday afternoon.
More than 2,000 organizations urge Biden to extend national eviction ban
Allen J. Schaben | Los Angeles Times | Getty ImagesMore than 2,200 organizations have written a letter to President Joe Biden urging him to extend the national eviction moratorium. Advocates say a wave of evictions is inevitable if the ban is allowed to lapse. Property owners have criticized the ban and say landlords can't afford to continue housing people for free. "Short-term policies like eviction moratoria leave renters accruing insurmountable debt and jeopardize the ability for rental housing providers to provide safe, affordable housing," said Bob Pinnegar, president of the National Apartment Association. However, housing experts say allowing the eviction ban to expire before rental assistance goes out to people is bad policy.cnbc.com
Whitmer proposes funds to ban guns from the Michigan Capitol
Gretchen Whitmer's proposed $67 billion state budget proposes a $5 million allocation for improving Capitol security. The Michigan Capitol Commission, which is responsible for making decisions concerning the upkeep of the Capitol building and grounds banned open carry firearms on Jan. 11 after months of reluctance to take on that responsibility. Armed protesters entered the state Capitol in April demanding to be allowed into legislative chambers in opposition to Whitmer's COVID-19 restrictions. “It’s important for people to feel safe inside the Michigan Capitol building, especially the thousands of elementary students who visit each year," Leddy said. "The Republican-led Legislature and the Michigan Capitol Commission said that a lack of funds has prevented them from taking action to ban weapons, which is why Governor Whitmer included this funding in her budget.
Michigan House Oversight Committee to hear testimony on winter sports ban
LANSING, Mich. – The Michigan House Oversight Committee will hear testimony Thursday about the state’s ban on high school sports due to the coronavirus pandemic. Committee members including Chairman Steve Johnson (R-Wayland), Michigan High School Athletic Association Director Mark Uyl, Let Them Play Michigan Director Jayme McElvany, Olivet High School Athletic Director Matt Seidl, and concerned parents and athletes are expected to testify during the session Thursday morning. “Families throughout the state have reached out to their elected legislators about the governor’s abrupt decision to extend the ban on certain high school winter sports,” reads a statement from the House committee. “The House Oversight Committee will listen to testimony in an effort to provide answers to concerned residents regarding the extension.”AdLate last week, Gov. Michigan House Republicans on Wednesday proposed a $3.5 billion coronavirus recovery plan but threatened to withhold billions to K-12 schools unless Whitmer cedes her administration’s power to prohibit in-person instruction and sports to local health departments.
Biden reverses Trump's transgender military ban
Biden reverses Trump's transgender military ban President Biden reversed the ban on transgender troops, which was imposed in 2017 by former President Trump. Before the ban, an estimated 15,500 transgender people served in the military. Nancy Cordes has more.cbsnews.com
Smoking, vaping ban now in effect for all Grand Rapids parks
GRAND RAPIDS, MI -- Smoking, vaping and all types of marijuana and tobacco products are now prohibited from all city parks and playgrounds. Those who violate the ban can be fined a $25 civil infraction or instead participate in a smoking cessation program. Related: Grand Rapids bans smoking in parks, but not at city-owned golf courseCity officials hope the ban will decrease cigarette butt litter and create healthier park environments. In an explainer on the ban, city officials advised people who see someone smoking in parks to “politely let them know that parks are now tobacco-free” and thank them for creating healthier park spaces. According to Grand Rapids officials, nearly 60 jurisdictions in Michigan have tobacco-free parks policies, including Greenville, Sault St. Marie, Traverse City, Escanaba, Grand Haven Township, Howell, Ottawa County, Portage and Michigan’s state parks.mlive.com
Demoralized health workers struggle as virus numbers surge
Doctors and nurses around the U.S. are becoming exhausted and demoralized as they struggle to cope with a record-breaking surge of COVID-19 patients that is swamping hospitals and prompting governors to clamp back down to contain the virus. (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty, File)Doctors and nurses around the U.S. are becoming exhausted and demoralized as they struggle to cope with a record-breaking surge of COVID-19 patients that is overwhelming hospitals and prompting governors to clamp back down to contain the virus. “We’re constantly looking for beds,” said Cassie Ban, an intensive care nurse at Indiana University Health. Health care workers will be among the first to start getting the nation’s first COVID-19 vaccine in the coming days after the Food and Drug Administration gave it the final go-ahead Friday. Each one of those numbers is the death of a person who wasn’t ready to go yet.”Although concerns remain about getting enough beds, masks and other equipment, many frontline health workers are most worried about staff shortages.
US banning WeChat, TikTok downloads for national security
WASHINGTON – The Commerce Department will roll out a ban of transactions in the U.S. using TikTok and WeChat starting Sunday. The order Friday was put into place, according to Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, to “combat China’s malicious collection of American citizens' personal data.”Aug. 14, 2020: Trump orders Chinese owner of TikTok to sell US assetsThe government previously said that using and downloading the app to communicate won’t be a banned transaction, although messaging on the app “could be directly or indirectly impaired” by the ban, and people who use it for messaging won’t be subject to penalties. Some security experts have raised concerns that ByteDance Ltd., the Chinese company that owns TikTok, would maintain access to information on the 100 million TikTok users in the United States, creating a security risk. Read the Commerce Department release here.
US bans WeChat, TikTok from app stores, threatens shutdowns
TikTok won't face the most drastic sanctions until after the Nov. 3 election, but WeChat users could feel the effects as early as Sunday. The order, which cited national security and data privacy concerns, follows weeks of dealmaking over the video-sharing service TikTok. Trump had said this week that he does not like the idea of ByteDance keeping majority control of TikTok. The administration, however, has provided no specific evidence that TikTok has made U.S. users’ data available to the Chinese government. Some cybersecurity experts question whether the administration's efforts are more political than rooted in legitimate concerns about Chinese threats to data security.
Report: Canada, US extend border restrictions to Aug. 21
TORONTO, ONT The U.S. and Canada are extending their agreement to keep their shared border closed to non-essential travel to Aug. 21, according to a report from CTV News. The restrictions were announced on March 18 and were extended in April, May and June. The U.S. has more confirmed cases and deaths from COVID-19 than any country in the world while Canada has flattened the epidemic curve. Essential cross-border workers like healthcare professionals, airline crews and truck drivers are still permitted to cross. Truck drivers are critical as they move food and medical goods in both directions.
Michigan’s ban on evictions extended until July 15
Michigan’s ban on evictions amid the coronavirus pandemic has been extended until July 15. Gretchen Whitmer’s order to temporarily ban evictions was set to expire June 30, but on Friday her office announced she signed Executive Order 2020-134 to extend the temporary suspension of evictions until July 15. Tenants whose back rent is not completely covered by the Eviction Diversion Program will be entered into manageable payment plans facilitated by Supreme Court Administrative Order 2020-17, according to Whitmer’s office. The program was created following the passage of Senate Bill 690, which passed unanimously out of both the Michigan House and Senate on June 17. The legislation appropriated $60 million in Coronavirus Relief Funding to the Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity for the creation of a rental assistance program to assist tenants and landlords after the eviction moratorium concludes.
Canada, US border closure: Heres what to know
DETROIT Non-essential between the United States and Canada has been banned since March amid the coronavirus pandemic. The border remaining closed to non-essential travel through at least June 21. Now, there are reports the ban on non-essential travel between the two countries could last until late July. In the more populated United States, cases are rising at vastly different paces depending on the state. The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel has been closed to non-essential travel since March 21, seemingly making it easier to complete a renovation of the tunnel.