More homes evacuated as officials continue investigating hazardous chemicals found in Flat Rock
Officials with the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) said three additional homes were evacuated as part of an emergency response to hazardous chemicals found in Flat Rock this week.
‘Is it safe?’ -- Area of concern grows in Flat Rock after hazardous chemical found in sewer system
Officials said the city plans to use firefighting form to suppress the vapors found within the sanitary system. The industrial facility has taken measures, including inserting plugs into the onsite sewer system to prevent it from entering the system at a location north of Gibraltar Road at the Ford Flat Rock Assembly Plant property.
Michigan town ‘stinks;’ Council buys marijuana odor device
A small town in Michigan's western Upper Peninsula is buying an odor-detection device and drafting an ordinance to crack down on the unpleasant smell of blooming marijuana plants. “The city of Bessemer stinks,” council member Linda Nelson said Monday as the council voted to buy the device, which will cost $3,400 with training. "You can smell marijuana everywhere. The Michigan law has attracted people from Wisconsin and Minnesota who are buying houses and growing marijuana indoors, Loper said. The council voted 4-1 in favor of the device, the Daily Globe reported.