Court lets woman's defamation suit vs. Trump proceed again
FILE - In this Oct. 18, 2018 file photo, former "Apprentice" contestant Summer Zervos leaves New York state appellate court in New York. Former President Donald Trump could face sworn questioning about her sexual assault allegations after a ruling from New York's highest court, Tuesday, March 30, 2021, in her defamation case. Evidence-gathering has been on hold in Summer Zervos' defamation lawsuit since Trump asked the high court last year to declare the that the presidency protected him from being sued in state courts. A request for comment was sent to Trump's lawyers. Zervos' attorneys said in a court filing last month that Trump's lawyers didn't oppose dismissing the appeal.
Riot lawsuit just part of Trump's post-impeachment problems
The former "Apprentice" contestant is trying to get her defamation lawsuit against former President Donald Trump moving again now that he's no longer president. Federal prosecutors in Washington, meanwhile, have charged some 200 Trump supporters with crimes related to the riot, including more serious conspiracy charges. There has been no indication that Trump would be charged in the riot though prosecutors have said they are looking at all angles. The same U.S. attorney's office in Manhattan also appears to have moved on from its investigation of Trump’s inaugural committee. Recently, her office has won a series of court rulings forcing Trump’s company and a law firm it hired to turn over troves of records.
Criminal probe, legal fights await Trump after White House
FILE - In this Nov. 5, 2020 file photo, President Donald Trump speaks at the White House in Washington. The president's legal entanglements are likely to intensify when leaves the White House in January 2021 and loses immunity from prosecution. The probe led by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. is one of several legal entanglements likely to intensify when Trump loses power — and immunity from prosecution — upon leaving the White House. Trump faces two New York state inquiries into whether he misled tax authorities, banks or business partners. Carroll says Trump raped her in the mid-1990s in a New York department store.
Trump tax ruling a new front in defamation suits against him
That has quickly become a question in two closely watched defamation lawsuits filed by women who say President Donald Trump smeared them while denying their sexual assault allegations. Lawyers for the women, E. Jean Carroll and Summer Zervos, are now trying to persuade New York courts that the U.S. Supreme Courts ruling strengthens their arguments for letting the suits go forward. The Supreme Court has now spoken, Carroll lawyer Roberta Kaplan wrote to the judge in her defamation case last week. Past Supreme Court cases established that presidents are subject to federal criminal subpoenas and to federal civil suits regarding private behavior. The court generally views criminal cases as more compelling matters than civil suits, said Albany Law School professor Vincent Bonventre, who maintains a blog on the Supreme Court.
Lawyer: Trump's phone records back details of woman's claim
The records also show a call to Zervos from Trump's phone the next afternoon and calls from her to his phone in the following months. Her lawyers say the phone calls support that she's telling the truth. At the time, Trump's lawyers were objecting to public disclosure of the phone records, but they have since dropped their opposition. The phone records also show two calls from Zervos to Trump's phone on Dec. 26, 2007. Trump's lawyers have said his statements were opinions and he had a free-speech right to express them.
Court filing: Zervos shared Trump allegations with lawyers in 2011
(CNN) - Summer Zervos, the former "Apprentice" contestant who has accused Donald Trump of sexually assaulting her in 2007, presented evidence Thursday in a new court filing to back up her claims. Zervos contacted lawyers about the allegations in 2011 and reached out to Fox News about the matter in August 2015, according to a new filing from her lawyers. She also "reached out to multiple lawyers back in 2011, including to Gloria Allred, whose records reflect that contact," Wang writes. The Trump Organization previously declared these documents "confidential" and only after months of legal wrangling and a recent telephone conference with the court did Trump and the Trump Organization "finally and begrudgingly agreed to lift a number of these baseless designations," according to the filing. Wang says the Trump Organization has improperly designated nine pages of records as "confidential" because they contain the President's former cell phone number.