ANN ARBOR, Mich. – A kitchen fire damaged multiple units in the Mulberry Row Apartments on Packard street Monday morning, the Ann Arbor Fire Department said.
At 10:37 a.m., firefighters responded to the kitchen fire. The alert was upgraded to a citywide alarm when it was discovered the blaze had spread into a space between the building’s first and second floors and into the attic.
The fire, deemed unintentional, damaged three apartments and caused smoke and water damage to a fourth, AAFD Fire Chief Mike Kennedy said on Facebook.
One person was transported by Huron Valley Ambulance for smoke inhalation and a cat was rescued.
The American Red Cross was helping with emergency shelter, the fire department said.
HART Huron Valley, Ann Arbor Police Department and Huron Valley Ambulance assisted AAFD at the scene while surrounding township fore departments helped to provide coverage for the city.