DETROIT - There are some big changes coming to Michigan's retail landscape in 2017.
Many iconic brands are shifting - in some cases closing - while newer brands are emerging and expanding.
Below you'll find a list of 2017 Michigan store closures and after, a list of stores opening in Michigan this year.
Here's what we have so far for store closures in Michigan this year.
Retail giant JCPenney is closing more than 130 stores nationwide, including 7 in Michigan this year:
Of the 138 stores slated to close, 7 of them are in Michigan. Liquidation of stores is set to begin in April.
- Lakeview Square Mall Battle Creek MI
- Delta Plaza Escanaba MI
- Westshore Mall Holland MI
- Copper Country Mall Houghton MI
- Birchwood Mall Kingsford MI
- Midland Mall Midland MI
- Cascade Crossings Sault Ste. Marie MI
The company says about 5,000 positions nationwide will be impacted by the store closures.
Macy's is closing 68 stores nationwide, with 4 closures in Michigan: The Michigan stores closing include locations in Westland, Harper Woods, Lansing and Battle Creek.
Of the 68 stores it is closing, three were shuttered mid-year, 63 will be closed in early spring, and two will be closed in the middle of the year. Three other locations were sold, or will be sold, and are being leased back.
Struggling retail giant Sears holdings announced 78 Kmart store closures and 26 Sears store closures.
Michigan KMart stores include:
- 29600 Ford Road, Garden City, MI
- 3555 O’Neill Drive, Jackson, MI
- 1396 South Main Street, Adrian, MI
- 5400 S Cedar Street, Lansing, MI
- 1501 E Apple Ave, Muskegon, MI
- 40855 Ann Arbor Road, Plymouth, MI
- 17580 Frazho Road, Roseville, MI
- 3541 Highland Road, Waterford, MI
- 165 Wayne Road, Westland, MI
- 6455 US 31 N, Acme Township, MI
801 N Lincoln Road, Escanaba, MI
1290 N Monroe Street, Monroe, MI
Only one Michigan Sears store is set to close (in Grand Rapids) but the company said last week that it wouldn't last much longer without more cash.
Radio Shack filed for its second bankruptcy in March and has begun closing 187 stores. Closed/closing Michigan locations include:
- 205 N Maple, Ann Arbor
- Drayton Shopping Center 5040 Dixie Hwy, Waterford
- Waterford Plaza 5148 Highland Rd, Waterford
- Gull Road Mall 5460 Gull Rd, Kalamazoo
- North Point Plaza, 4073 N Euclid Ave, Bay City
- 420 Baldwin St, Jenison
Dollar Express is liquidating and closing all of its stores on June 30 as it is acquired by Dollar General.
Part of that liquidation includes closing 14 Family Dollar stores in Metro Detroit.
The addresses for the locations closing are listed below:
- 10220 Gratiot, Detroit
- 4705 Conner, Detroit
- 12815 Jefferson, Detroit
- 6365 W. Vernor, Detroit
- 1727 E. State Fair, Detroit
- 14686 Telegraph, Taylor
- 22100 Coolidge, Oak Park
- 22818 John R, Hazel Park
- 9028 Joseph Campau, Hamtramck
- 20735 Wyoming, Ferndale
- 1918 Venoy, Westland
- 27425 Michigan Ave, Inkster
- 20900 Gratiot, Eastpointe
- 14101 Woodward, Highland Park
There will be a total of 126 employees laid off as a part of this liquidation in Metro Detroit. Overall, 24 Family Dollar stores will close in Michigan.
Here are the Michigan Payless stores that will be closing:
- Orchards Mall - Benton Harbor
- Adrian Mall - Adrian
- 1435 N Mitchell - Cadillac
- 5616 Vernor Hwy - Detroit
- Mall of Monroe - Monroe
- Meridian Mall - Okemos
- Bay City Mall - Bay City
- Alpena Mall - Alpena
- Sterling Ponds Shopping Center - Sterling Heights
- Big Rapids Commons - Big Rapids
Clothing retailer rue21 is shutting down nearly 400 stores, including 16 in Michigan.
The teen clothing store is closing about one-third of its locations, while it focuses on its online business.
It's unclear when exactly these stores will be closing for good.
Here are the 16 rue21 stores closing in Michigan:
- Benton Harbor -- 964 E Napier Ave.
- Brighton -- 9490 Village Place Blvd.
- Cadillac -- 8795 E. 34 Boon Road
- Canton -- 47172 Michigan Ave.
- Chesterfield -- 50697 Waterside Dr.
- Grand Rapids -- 350 84th St.
- Grand Rapids -- 3645 28th St.
- Holland -- 3530 W Shore Dr.
- Kalamazoo -- 5040 West Main St.
- Lansing -- 5330 West Saginaw Hwy.
- Midland -- 6800 Eastman Ave.
- Monroe -- 2121 North Monroe St.
- Okemos -- 1982 W Grand River Ave.
- Rochester Hills -- 1250 S Rochester Road
- West Branch -- 2990 Cook Road
- Westland -- 35585 Warren Road
As of 2013, Radio Shack was the eighth-largest consumer electronics dealer.
Kroger announced they will be closing their store in Redford Township in April.
MC Sports announced they would be going out of business, including 22 stores in Michigan.
Bebe announced its closing all stores, including three in Metro Detroit.
Here's what we have so far for stores opening in Michigan this year:
Meijer is set to open its first locations in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The investment included the opening of two new stores in Escanaba, Michigan, and Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.
Six Meijer supercenters in Michigan alone will be updated, with the stores in Mt. Pleasant, Commerce Township and Algoma Township slated for major remodels.
Duluth Trading Co.
The lifestyle brand of men’s and women’s casual wear, workwear and accessories, announced the grand opening of its 19th store in Macomb, Michigan. The store is located at 18493 Hall Road, Macomb, MI 48044.
Based in Belleville, Wisconsin, we offer high quality, solution-based casual wear, workwear and accessories for men and women who lead a hands-on lifestyle and who value a job well-done.
The athletic apparel store will open its first Detroit location on April 13 in Downtown Detroit, at 1201 Woodward.
Hopcat is opening its new 3-story Royal Oak location on May 20. It'll be Hopcat's 6th Michigan location.
Dexter-based Jolly Pumpkin will be moving into the space currently occupied by Bastone and Vinotecca Wine Bar, on the corner of Main and 5th streets this summer.
Bastone will be moving into the Monk Beer Abbey space located on the complex’s W. 5th Street side and refocusing its food and beverage menus to specialize in Belgian cuisine and brews. Upon renovation, seating will be available for 60 indoors and an additional 36 on a seasonal patio.
Costco will open a store in Traverse City later this year, located on the property of Cherry Capital Airport.
Von Maur (2019)
Von Maur Department Stores announced in February its plans to open a 90,000-square-foot store at Woodland Mall in Grand Rapids, Mich. Scheduled to open Fall 2019, the store will be the Company's third location in Michigan.
Check back for updates.
Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.