DETROIT – Michigan reported 6,773 new cases of COVID-19 and 100 virus-related deaths Wednesday -- an average of 3,386.5 cases over the past two days.
Wednesday’s update brings the total number of confirmed COVID cases in Michigan to 1,022,575, including 20,998 deaths. These numbers are up from 1,015,802 cases and 20,898 deaths, as of Monday.
The deaths announced Wednesday include 50 identified during a Vital Records review.
NOTE: MDHHS originally reported 6,733 new cases, but the correct number is 6,773.
Testing has increased to around 30,000 diagnostic tests reported per day on average, with the 7-day positive rate at 8.89% as of Monday, slightly lower than the previous week due to the increasing test volume. Hospitalizations have been steadily increasing for several weeks.
The state’s 7-day moving average for daily cases was 2,842 on Monday -- the highest it has been since early May. The 7-day death average was 26 on Monday. The state’s fatality rate is 2.1%. The state also reports “active cases,” which were listed at 81,100 on Friday.
Michigan has reported more than 9.8 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine administered as of Friday, with 67.6% of 16+ residents having received at least one dose while 58.9% of 16+ residents are considered fully vaccinated.
According to Johns Hopkins University, more than 40.9 million cases have been reported in the U.S., with more than 659,900 deaths reported from the virus. Globally, more than 3.5 billion vaccine doses have been administered, including more than 370 million doses in the U.S. alone.
Worldwide, more than 224 million people have been confirmed infected and more than 4.6 million have died, according to Johns Hopkins University. The true numbers are certainly much higher, because of limited testing, different ways nations count the dead and deliberate under-reporting by some governments.
New daily Michigan COVID-19 totals since Sept. 3:
- Sept. 3 -- 4,448 new cases (case count for two days)
- Sept. 7 -- 6,313 new cases (case count for four days)
- Sept. 8 -- 2,364 new cases (case count for one day)
- Sept. 10 -- 6,095 new cases (case count for two days)
- Sept. 13 -- 6,093 new cases (case count for three days)
- Sept. 15 -- 6,604 new cases (case count for two days)
- Sept. 17 -- 5,616 new cases (case count for two days)
- Sept. 20 -- 7,185 new cases (case count for three days)
- Sept. 22 -- 6,079 new cases (case count for two days)
- Sept. 24 -- 6,080 new cases (case count for two days)
- Sept. 27 -- 7,733 new cases (case count for three days)
- Sept. 29 -- 6,773 new cases (case count for two days)
Latest COVID-19 data in Michigan:
- Full coverage: Coronavirus in Michigan
Here are Michigan COVID-19 cases broken down by gender (view here if you’re not seeing the table):
Sign up for the Michigan Coronavirus Newsletter for updates delivered right to your inbox:
COVID-19 Discussion Forum:
Join our dedicated space to discuss the pandemic. You’re invited to share questions, experiences, insights and opinions.