DETROIT – Michigan reported 5,716 new cases of COVID-19 and 152 virus-related deaths Friday -- an average of 2,858 cases over the past two days.
Friday’s update brings the total number of confirmed COVID cases in Michigan to 2,032,362, including 30,899 deaths. These numbers are up from 2,026,646 cases and 30,747 deaths, as of Wednesday.
The deaths announced Friday include 110 identified during a Vital Records review.
Testing has increased to around 50,000 to 60,000 diagnostic tests reported per day on average, with the 7-day positive rate at 17.66% as of Feb. 9 -- the lowest it has been since mid-December. Hospitalizations have decreased over the last three weeks.
The state’s 7-day moving average for daily cases was 3,890 on Wednesday, Feb. 9, lower than the previous week. The 7-day death average was 93 on Feb. 9. The state’s fatality rate is 1.5%.
Michigan has reported more than 11.2 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine administered as of Feb. 1, with 69.8% of 16+ residents having received at least one dose, while 63.9% of 16+ residents are considered fully vaccinated.
Across Michigan’s entire population, 65.5% have received at least one COVID vaccine dose.
According to Johns Hopkins University, more than 76 million cases have been reported in the U.S., with more than 902,200 deaths reported from the virus. Globally, more than 10 billion vaccine doses have been administered, including more than 539 million doses in the U.S. alone.
Worldwide, more than 393 million people have been confirmed infected and more than 5.7 million have died, according to Johns Hopkins University. The true numbers are certainly much higher, because of limited testing, different ways nations count the dead and deliberate under-reporting by some governments.
New daily Michigan COVID-19 totals since Jan. 21:
- Jan. 21 -- 33,551 new cases (case count for two days)
- Jan. 24 -- 39,372 new cases (case count for three days)
- Jan. 26 -- 27,423 new cases (case count for two days)
- Jan. 28 -- 26,309 new cases (case count for two days)
- Jan. 31 -- 21,242 new cases (case count for three days)
- Feb. 2 -- 18,803 new cases (case count for two days)
- Feb. 4 -- 9,805 new cases (case count for two days)
- Feb. 7 -- 9,898 new cases (case count for three days)
- Feb. 9 -- 7,527 new cases (case count for two days)
- Feb. 11 -- 5,716 new cases (case count for two days)
Latest COVID-19 data in Michigan:
- Full coverage: Coronavirus in Michigan
COVID-19 Discussion Forum:
Join our dedicated space to discuss the pandemic. You’re invited to share questions, experiences, insights and opinions.