USS Detroit docked in Detroit River
Docking kicks off week-long celebration before commissioning
DETROIT – Here’s a little history lesson for you: Of the six U.S. Navy war ships named after the city of Detroit, the USS Detroit LCS-7 will be the only one actually commissioned in Detroit.
This summer, the Navy announced the waterfront combat ship USS Detroit completed its final acceptance trial on July 15.
After undergoing numerous demonstrations and inspection for the Navy’s Board of Inspection and Survey (INSURV), it arrived in Detroit Friday afternoon, docking on the Detroit River, outside of the Renaissance Center.
Welcoming ceremonies began at 2 p.m., kicking off eight days of public tours and celebrations before the warship is commissioned on Oct. 22.
The USS Detroit LCS-7 is a Freedom class Navy ship, meaning it’s a smaller, more versatile warship that can hug shore and coastlines for intricate missions.
It can also handle open ocean operations including antisubmarine warfare, mine warfare or surface warfare.
Following its commissioning, the ship will sail across the Detroit River on Monday, October 24 to spend four days in Windsor, Ontario.
You can watch video below from its trip through Lake St. Clair and up the Detroit River to dock near the Renaissance Center:
The ship will set to sail to California to be home-ported in San Diego with sister ships USS Freedom (LCS 1), USS Fort Worth (LCS 3) and USS Milwaukee (LCS 5).
Watch the report from September:
Here is a list of the USS Detroit's events this week:
- Friday: The Michigan Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution
- Saturday-Monday: Ship tours
- Sunday: Worship service
- Sunday: International super chef black tie dinner
- Tuesday: Veteran's Day in the D
- Wednesday: Public tours from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Thursday: Michigan Science Center Youth Day
- Thursday-Friday: Ship tours
- Oct. 22: Commissioning day at 11 a.m.
- Oct. 22: Post-commissioning reception and tours of USS Detroit from 12: 30 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Oct. 22: Commissioning night
- Oct. 23: Memorial service at 11 a.m.
- Oct. 24: Newly commissioned USS Detroit visits Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Copyright 2016 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.