ClickOnDetroit NIGHTSIDE report -- Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2019
Woman spends $86K in social security benefits using name of dead mother, officials say
DETROIT – A Detroit woman is accused of stealing nearly $86,000 in social security benefits using her dead mother’s name. She allegedly sent the money to an inmate, paid for a Lyft ride and made other purchases.
WATCH Local 4 News at 11
4 Fast Facts
- The funeral for longtime Michigan Congressman John Conyers Jr. is scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday at Greater Grace Temple in Detroit. Read more
- A neighbor of the man accused of murdering his wife by spiking her cereal with heroin spoke at the preliminary hearing Tuesday. Learn more.
- An activist is calling for a grand jury investigation into Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan’s office and its dealings with the nonprofit Make Your Date foundation. Read more.
- The NCAA Board of Governors voted Tuesday to allow student-athletes to benefit from their name, image and likeness. Learn more.
A Rochester Hills woman accused of biting off her friend’s ear and viciously biting her face hovered over the victim on all fours and told her, “Sorry, but you’re gonna have to die today” and claimed to police that she was playing a wolf and the victim was playing a vampire, according to the details that emerged in court.
A slew of popular Michigan apples are being recalled due the possible risk of Listeria contamination.
North Bay Produce, Inc. of Traverse City, Michigan is voluntarily recalling 2,297 cases and 2 bulk bins of fresh apples due to the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
The boys -- 9 and 11 years old -- were home alone Monday morning when they were trapped and killed by a fire in the house on Fisher Road between Kercheval and Mack avenues.
A Chicago-area man was arrested in Michigan after he traveled to meet an FBI agent who he thought was a 13-year-old girl, authorities said.
Police received a tip that Daniel Vorberg was allegedly arranging to drive from his home to Brownstown, Michigan to meet a girl and take her virginity. When the girl tried to sneak out, barking dogs woke her mother up, and her mother went to police to tell them about Vorberg.
- Welcome to a faster, more modern ClickOnDetroit
- Why the Michigan Humane Society says it’s time to adopt a senior pet
- Data shows STDs increasing again in Michigan
- US finalizing rule to allow farmers to legally grow hemp
- Help Me Hank: DTE, BBB issue warning about door-to-door DTE scam targeting seniors in Oakland County
- Dashcam footage shows Oak Park police officer being dragged by vehicle during traffic stop
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.