ClickOnDetroit NIGHTSIDE report -- Friday, Nov. 1, 2019
DETROIT – A 17-year-old student at De La Salle Collegiate High School in Warren has been charged after he allegedly brought a knife to school Thursday. Security footage from inside the school shows the student show the knife. Police arrested him a short time later. The student, Coty Brocker, told police he was being targeted by other students.
WATCH Local 4 News at 11
4 Fast Facts
- Two people were taken to a hospital after a car crashed into a gas station on Detroit’s west side on Friday morning. Click here to read more.
- A man charged with two counts of murder in connection with an apartment fire that took the lives of a 31-year-old mother and her 4-year-old daughter was in court Friday. Click here to read more.
- A 27-year-old man has been charged after allegedly killing and torturing a small dog. Click here to read more.
- Michigan State Police Sergeant James Bush has been credited with potentially saving an elderly man’s life last night in Chester Township, according to MSP. Click here to read more.
Friday was the first day LARA’s Michigan Marijuana Regulatory Agency (MRA) began accepting applications for recreational marijuana businesses. It’s been a year since Michigan voters approved recreational marijuana usage and 11 years since medical marijuana was approved. Since the 2008 vote on medical marijuana, it took a while to get businesses up and running and it’s uncertain when recreational shops will start opening.
The proposed hourly tentative agreement between Ford Motor Co. and the United Auto Workers was sent to UAW members for a ratification vote, according to a release from the UAW. Informational meetings and ratification votes at Ford local unions will be held starting Monday. All local votes are due in Detroit on Nov. 15. Ford workers will get $9,000 each if they ratify the four-year contract with the company, but Ford will close a factory in the deal, a person briefed on the pact said Thursday. The company plans to close its engine factory in Romeo.
The Ford Romeo Engine Plant is expected to close as part of Ford’s tentative agreement with the United Auto Workers union. The closure is expected to happen in December 2022. About 600 UAW members will be offered buyouts or transfers to a different plant.
The 22-year-old man charged in the killing Oakland County Sheriff’s Deputy Eric Overall was found guilty of first-degree murder on Friday. Christopher Joseph Berak was charged with first-degree premeditated homicide and murder of a peace officer. He was accused of leading deputies on a chase and deliberately hitting and killing Overall at the intersection of M-15 and Seymore Lake Road on Thanksgiving Day 2017.
An investigation into hazing within the De La Salle Collegiate High School in Warren has police seeking answers from the school’s top leaders. Allegations of hazing on the school’s football team cost the team the playoffs and ended its season. De La Salle President John Knight spent hours at the Warren police station Friday speaking with authorities.
- Beto O’Rourke announces he’s dropping 2020 presidential bid
- 62 years ago: Michigan’s ‘mighty’ Mackinac Bridge opens to traffic
- Metro Detroit weekend construction guide: I-75 closure and more
- How Daylight Saving Time can impact your health
- Help Me Hank: Keeping internet, cable costs low
- Help Me Hank: Detroit’s demolition battle
- 10 things to do in Metro Detroit this weekend
- Friday Finds: New music to check out – Nov. 1, 2019
- Michigan leaders issue warning to residents on local health department phone scams
- Teen found not guilty of homicide in death of 70-year-old Detroit man
- Angel investor awards 50 Detroit-based activists $500, no strings attached
- GM recalling more than 600,000 trucks and SUVs
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.