WESTLAND, Mich. – A year ago, just after the Fourth of July weekend, we covered the story of 3-year-old Lucy.
Lucy was 70 yards away from the fireworks being set off by a neighbor when one struck her. She was rushed to Motts Children’s Hospital at the University of Michigan and required a stitch in her brain.
She suffered a fractured skull and her recovery has been long and difficult. Lucy spent more than a week in the pediatric ICU.
According to WalletHub, 67 percent of annual fireworks injuries happen with a month of the Fourth of July. In 2018, the Consumer Product Safety Commission estimated that 9,100 fireworks-related injuries were treated in the ER.
Now, in the midst of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, some families might not want to watch fireworks display with others, but opt to light their own at home.
Marie Bukis is Lucy’s mother. She said Lucy is nearly 5 years old now and has made a full recovery. The Westland family is urging others to learn from their incident.